60 Cube...Upgrade or Downgrade?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarinaClown

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have a 40 Breeder saltwater tank that measures 36x18x16. Actually water volume calculator says its a 45 gallon. Anyways, I have been toying with an idea of upgrading to a 60 gallon cube which is 24x24x24.
It's obvious that in terms of water volume the cube will hold more water. However, there is a drop in width by a foot that doesn't give fish as much room to swim. Bottom line questions are:
Is it worth it?
Will the fish be happier? Please see my profile for my current stock list.
Thank you!
PS
One thing that always keeps me puzzled is how many people say that a bristle tooth tang is ok in a 60 cube but not in a 3ft 40/50/65 gallons. Not really important but just a thought.

I wouldnt put any tang in a 60g cube. i happen to have one and its way way too small as far as swim room. I purchased it for small to medium sized fish and mostly for corals since you can make quite a rockscape in there with the 2 feet front to back space.
I would say go for a 60g if you like the room it offers but not as an Upgrade per se to hold a tang.

I wouldnt put any tang in a 60g cube.
Do you have a mandarin goby named Mandy? I was watching a video of a 60 cube on YouTube today and the narrator's voice was similar to your voice in your 180 gallon video you posted a day or two ago.

Yep, I have a mandarin named mandy. lol

Glad you arent considering a tang. :)

A wrasse or two might be good though

I have an option to upgrade to a 65 gallon which has the same footprint as my 40 just taller. Only reason I am considering a 60 cube is I just got an Aqua Illumination Vega light and one would be enough for the cube. If I go 65 then I have to get another Vega ($$$$) or else deal with dark spots on each side of the tank if I go with one fixture.

I have a standard 65 and if I had a choice as far as a reef tank is concerned, I would choose the cube as the extra space front to back would be much appreciated

Back
Top Bottom