75 gal uprade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kalin0121

Aquarium Advice Regular
I finally upgraded! I purchased a used 75 gal set up. Drilled with a 10 gal sump. The tank has some coraline algae die off on the back glass that i was unable to scrap of. Should I worry about it or just leave it? Today I finished painting the stand and the back of the tank. Tomorrow I will be transferring everything from my current 30 gal tank. My current is old and not clean so I will be adding new sand. Can my existing fish and soft corals go in immediately? My new tank will be going in the same place as the current tank. Any suggestions on making this transfer easier would be great! Thanks!

jut leave the dead coralline. it won't hurt anything. i would move the old tank out and put the new tank behind it. check the parameters for about a week before adding your livestock, to make sure you don't have a spike.
was this used 75 you bought running when you bought it? did it have live rock?

Tank and painted stand

Attachments

• image-894965975.jpg
    image-894965975.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 158
mr_X said:
jut leave the dead coralline. it won't hurt anything. i would move the old tank out and put the new tank behind it. check the parameters for about a week before adding your livestock, to make sure you don't have a spike.
was this used 75 you bought running when you bought it? did it have live rock?

No wasn't running. He upgraded to a 120 gal. No live rock included.

Well it's finally finished! Just waiting on the sand to settle. My fish from old tank are in a quarantine tank until it clears. At this point I only have 46 lbs of live rock. Will keep adding more every paycheck until I have enough. Lol. Will post pictures of the tank soon!

Attachments

• image-945734553.jpg
    image-945734553.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 161
  • image-4028440298.jpg
    image-4028440298.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 205
  • image-3182714415.jpg
    image-3182714415.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 146

Attachments

• image-296310313.jpg
    image-296310313.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 149
you might want to invest in a better skimmer also!

You just hate those skimmers don't you? :D I do too. Originally bought one for my 40g, not only did it not work well after a few days but but the piece connecting the air inlet tubing to the pump broke off with ease. Ugh. Never worked the same even trying to put the air tube directly in a different way.

Really? It's only 3 months old. Works great and haven't had any problem. Yet

Hmm. I think some people get lucky. They've worked for other people I know but I think it's the quality of parts, at least in my situation lol.

dlwn88 said:
Hmm. I think some people get lucky. They've worked for other people I know but I think it's the quality of parts, at least in my situation lol.
Sorry you have had trouble. I had a smaller on a while back and had an issue with pump making to much noise. The company sent me parts twice no charge and were very eager to help with any issues. Even said if the parts didn't fix it they would send me a new one.

Anyone know how long it takes for the tank to clear up? Still really cloudy from the sand. :(

"works great" compared to what? what other skimmers have you tried?
lets say it works great...now, you are using a skimmer (allegedly) rated for a 65 gallon tank and running it on a 85 gallon system. it's way under powered.

that said, i've used this skimmer before. it's about worthless. when you decide to change skimmers you are going to be very surprised.

mr_X said:
"works great" compared to what? what other skimmers have you tried?
lets say it works great...now, you are using a skimmer (allegedly) rated for a 65 gallon tank and running it on a 85 gallon system. it's way under powered.

that said, i've used this skimmer before. it's about worthless. when you decide to change skimmers you are going to be very surprised.

What type do you suggest?

Starting to clear up

Attachments

• image-1214040340.jpg
    image-1214040340.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 92
Finished!

Attachments

• image-870604252.jpg
    image-870604252.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 100
  • image-3339889150.jpg