88 degrees?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

special lighting

Aquarium Advice Freak
I ordered a ehim jager heater and two marina glass thermometers from marinedepot, i placed a thermometer in my tank and it marked 88 degrees!!! :0 is this true? My coralife digital one markd 78. :0

I've read the reviews on this type of thermometer..I have one, but I don't use it. I use lifeguard I believe it's called. Most of the people that use them say they check w/ a glass thermometer every once in a while b/c they are very inaccurate. Hope you had no losses!

obscurereef said:
I've read the reviews on this type of thermometer..I have one, but I don't use it. I use lifeguard I believe it's called. Most of the people that use them say they check w/ a glass thermometer every once in a while b/c they are very inaccurate. Hope you had no losses!

Ive had iy like this for a while now :0 and everything seems fine :) so i should trust my glass one?

Well I think you would tell the difference from 78 and 88 by sticking your hand in there...?

Doubt this will work but maybe change the degrees from Fahrenheit to Celsius? Maybe the coralife is messed up and will read something else. Convert the C to F online and see what you get...don't know if this will help. The heater doesn't have a way to tell temp does it?

obscurereef said:
Doubt this will work but maybe change the degrees from Fahrenheit to Celsius? Maybe the coralife is messed up and will read something else. Convert the C to F online and see what you get...don't know if this will help. The heater doesn't have a way to tell temp does it?

I did it and it says the same 78 degrees farenheit. Should i trust my glass thermometer? Its a marina. Nope my heaters dont say the temp:(

Oh well then if both read the same thing I would think it's 78. What's the temp in your house?

obscurereef said:
Oh well then if both read the same thing I would think it's 78. What's the temp in your house?

Ok my fluval heaters were crankedcup all the way because thats the only way that my tank reached 79 degrees according to my coralife thermometer. Now that i put in a glass one. The glass one say 88 and the digital coralife says 78. My room is at 74

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121008_165610.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121008_165610.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 106
  • ForumRunner_20121008_165619.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121008_165619.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 76
You cranked it up all the way? I know for my aqueon heater in my 10 FW even on the lowest setting it would be like 80 or 82 even though the house was about 72 so I just took it out. Aha! Maybe this will work. Get some cold tap water...or RO/DI if you really want and put both thermometers in. Maybe the accuracy will be revealed.

obscurereef said:
You cranked it up all the way? I know for my aqueon heater in my 10 FW even on the lowest setting it would be like 80 or 82 even though the house was about 72 so I just took it out. Aha! Maybe this will work. Get some cold tap water...or RO/DI if you really want and put both thermometers in. Maybe the accuracy will be revealed.

Yea lol because i thought they were weak apearantly they arnt lol. Well how is that gonna tell me which is accurate? Aha

Umm well wouldn't cold water be somewhere in the 60s..if your coralife temp is reading 10 degrees lower maybe it will read 50? Just a shot in the dark really...no harm in trying?

obscurereef said:
Umm well wouldn't cold water be somewhere in the 60s..if your coralife temp is reading 10 degrees lower maybe it will read 50? Just a shot in the dark really...no harm in trying?
Ohh i see or i can go to my room and turn on ac and see what mycac says and what my thermometers say lol. And the strip on the side of the tank also says over 86 :0

There's no way a heater would only go up to 78! And the coralife therm. has been known to be inaccurate, and those 2 therm. say 86. I think these factors are adding up fast to the conclusion! I say turn down the heater or take it out...even if you take it out, it will take a while for the temp to change :L really surprised everything is doing fine.

obscurereef said:
There's no way a heater would only go up to 78! And the coralife therm. has been known to be inaccurate, and those 2 therm. say 86. I think these factors are adding up fast to the conclusion! I say turn down the heater or take it out...even if you take it out, it will take a while for the temp to change :L really surprised everything is doing fine.

Yea thats true i brought them down to 78 both already, im suprised also thats why i never expected the coralife to be off because my mushrooms are doing fine

Just boil some RODI water and put the temp probe in it, if it isnt reading 212F then it is wrong.

About 5 years ago, I was broke and my chiller died, so my reef went thru a summer with no chiller and average temperatures were 82-86 degrees. I lost most everything except a few LPS and the mushrooms and fish. The mushrooms grew explosively in this hot temperature! Today, I keep everything at 77deg and the mushrooms still are growing.

Gregcoyote said:
About 5 years ago, I was broke and my chiller died, so my reef went thru a summer with no chiller and average temperatures were 82-86 degrees. I lost most everything except a few LPS and the mushrooms and fish. The mushrooms grew explosively in this hot temperature! Today, I keep everything at 77deg and the mushrooms still are growing.

Wow that suck :/, my temp went down 4 degrees and my blue tang catched ick. So ima lower it 1 degree a day

Back
Top Bottom