90 vs 120...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
Any opinions? I know, bigger can be, but isn't always better. I'm looking at the two tanks by Aqueon. The 90 is 48.5" x 18.5" x 25.4", the 120 is 48.5" x 24.5" x 25.5", basically 6 inches more, front to back. Is that really worth it? I will be running a sump...

Yes the 120 is much much better. Do the 120 you won't be disappointed.

Agreed. Since it isn't a differnce in height, I would go with the 120. :)

Also, Marineland or Aqueon? Are the so-so TopFin tanks the same as the Marineland tanks?

I would recommend a pre drilled tank if you haven't looked into them!

I looked at the 120g tanks when I bought my 90g
yes they are nice but IMO not worth the extra $350
I can barley reach the back of my 90 imagine how hard it would be to reach the back of the 120g
I'm 6ft and still need a step stool to work on the tank

I looked at the 120g tanks when I bought my 90g
yes they are nice but IMO not worth the extra $350
I can barley reach the back of my 90 imagine how hard it would be to reach the back of the 120g
I'm 6ft and still need a step stool to work on the tank

True. I hated reaching toward thr back of my 120g. My arms are average length IMO at 5'7. I sold it.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was looking at the footprint (I happen to have spare plywood in both sizes), and my wife and I decided the 90 would fit better...

I must have woken up in the Twilight Zone today...my wife wanted to take a trip to the LFS (her suggestion)...when we got there, wanted to drop $200+ on coral (I'm not that crazy, didn't get any), but, even more strangely, wanted a 220 gallon tank...

That's awesome it's really good when the wife is on board I just let my wife pick out the "pretty" corals then there is no fuss about getting new corals.

If you have the room did you consider a 125. More swimming room more surface area and not as deep. 72x18x21

I considered a 75-90.

We ended up with a 180, built our own stand and an amazing wet dry system from cat litter, dog food, sterilite baskets, Home Depot pump a 40 gallon long and a sh*tload of PVC.

My girl was very enthusiastic in her "Tool Time" belt!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393186250.370679.jpglImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393186263.901613.jpg

The footprint that we have available will only allow for a 90. My LFS has AllGlass (or Aqueon, whatever name they go by these days) 90s for about $250. I will pick up a 40B and some glass panels to make a 3 compartment sump for the skimmer, fuge and return.

I am currently building a staircase, so I have to wait for that project to finish up before I jump into the stand build, and I'm not rushing the 90, either. It's going to be a reef tank, and will require a substantial amount of additional equipment that I don't currently have on my nano-reef (read: lots of $$$).

I got a 48" x 24" x 21" tall tank. It's a size that is normally stocked now, by Deep Sea Aquatics. I love being able to reach the bottom easily without giving the tank a dose of underarm deodorant.
To respond to your question though, I'd go either 75, or 120 over a 90.

Out of curiousity, why a 75? The price difference on the tanks was negligible (ie, more gallon for the $ with the 90).

Unfortunately, for where the tank will be situated, that extra 6" pushes it a little too far out, which was the driver towards the 90. The 120 will be too long, unfortunately.

(And if I do go 75, my wife can't see your post....she loves the Marineland 75 w/ the cabinet and canopy and would use this as leverage :) But at $2000, forget it. I'll build my own.)

Wow! What did you feed your wife the night before? I want to get my wife to do the same.

I wish I could remember. It was completely random. She went to get her hair done before she called, so maybe it was the fumes :)

She's really pushing for a bigger tank, esp now that she can see what can go into it. She balked when she saw the extra equipment cost over my current nano, but got over it pretty quickly, since I told her I can do BRS buys and their Black Friday sale (I have no problem waiting until November).

Because you aren't going to use the extra few inches of height, and it's just going to hinder light penetration and reaching the bottom. The extra 15 gallons is not going to do much for stability either. I have my arm in my tank daily. I would not buy a deep tank again.

That's awesome it's really good when the wife is on board I just let my wife pick out the "pretty" corals then there is no fuss about getting new corals.

I do that too, but with a nano, she's limited w.r.t. what she can pick out, either because they will grow too large, or are too aggressive for the ones I already have. I think that's the single biggest driver for her wanting a bigger tank.

Back
Top Bottom