A very strange lighting question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shinigami_Kitaru

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This question is mainly for Mr. X, but I welcome any comments. I am upgrading tanks to a 72" long 36" tall tank around 160G. I know that most lighting does not fair well at the longer distance. I know that led spots have come a long way to deliver the extra LUX. My question is what about xenon HID lamps used in automotive. The kits can be purchased on the cheap, and color temps are easily achieved. I know heat would be an issue, but as they have an overwhelming amount of light they could be mounted much higher in the canopy. As for waterproofing that is relatively simple as well. Shouldn't have an issue with UV exposure either since the bulbs glass can be purchased polarized by certain manufacturers. Any thoughts?

Well, I'm not exactly sure that automotive lights would produce the results you would be looking for. I would expect high algae growth off of these lights.

I dont know either however great question... im going to be following this thread .. i dont algae would be an issue given that a parameter issue more then anything.

Algea is more of a parameter issue only if the proper lights are being used. When improper lighting is being used or when bulbs get too old and their light profiles have changed, algea can run rampant.
Different gases give off a different lighting profile ( high pressure sodium, metal halide), don't know about Xenon, but I doubt it would give off an acceptable profile for aquariums. I don't know for a fact, as I've never researched it, but I doubt it. I would research the light profile of Xenon and compare it to Metal Halide, this would show you if they are similar or not. I only say MH because it has been used in the hobby for many years, with good results. Please post what you find, as I would like to know the outcome.
Way to think outside the box though!!

The spectrum is not correct for reef lighting. Your going to want to look at LEDs they can penetrate farther than halides or t5's. Look into the new kessil a350's they have some amazing penetration and im sure if you called them they could give you par specs etc at 36" Ive seen them on a 30" deep and it looked good so might want to check that out. Also look into Diy kits with narrow lenses etc. Many options out there.

What are you intending to keep on the sand bed, and what are you looking to spend?
I wouldn't know what kind of output V.S. electric usage, heat, etc. that Xenon lamps would produce, plus I don't think there is much data on the spectrum output either, as mentioned above.
Chances are, if it worked, you would have already heard about it.
Also as mentioned above, the right LED fixture will cut through 36" no problem.

mr_X said:
What are you intending to keep on the sand bed, and what are you looking to spend?
I wouldn't know what kind of output V.S. electric usage, heat, etc. that Xenon lamps would produce, plus I don't think there is much data on the spectrum output either, as mentioned above.
Chances are, if it worked, you would have already heard about it.
Also as mentioned above, the right LED fixture will cut through 36" no problem.

I agree with the above. The reason i asked was to the fact that i had never heard of anyone making the attempt ergo questions insued. i do prefer LED as they have better power consumption and life span without drop off. It would be an interesting experiment would you not agree? As for what i plan to keep that matter is yet undecided. Like most i will probably start out as a FOWLR and move up the latter. This will be a long ride since this project is on a long payment plan (horrible pay rate).

For Mr.X
I have 3 LEDs (360 wstte total). Can I run all 3 on my new 48 by 33by 16 tank

Two evolution and one tao tronics. Various hard coral mushrooms Kenya trees anemones

You can run them all, but I would watch the anemones. If they start to run for cover, you may have to raise them a bit.

Back
Top Bottom