Adding a sump? Possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys. Wondering if i could add a sump into my RSM 250! Now, i only have a weird space to add a tank and i want one as big as i can get it. I want to run 2 skimmers, the decent one in the back of the tank, and a nice one in the sump. The space i have is 17" long, 27" high, and 22" deep! Thanks!!

Heres a pic of the stand.... We want to put it on the right side (we will clear out all the ro jugs and take off the shelf). What size tank do you think would fit?

Attachments

• image-3273361908.jpg
    image-3273361908.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 142
Sniperhank said:
This should help. Lists standard sizes of tanks.
An Aquarium Sizes and Weights Chart
Seems to me that you could get a tank in there as long as you turn it right. Since the standard width of a 10 gal tank is 10" and you only have 17" in length...and standard length is 20" and you have 22"...it could be done imo.

Hey thanks hank! I really want somthing bigger that a 10, any way i could custom a tank? How would i do that? What about a 20 gallon tall or somthing like that?

Just an idea..you can have a trash bin if it fits. I got one that's food safe from costco. That would be a cheaper route and it doesn't need to be a pretty, clear, box if it's function is just as effective.

they should have some kind or container at lowes or HD, why dont you take the canister out of there and use the whole area for a sump?

It wasn't a rubbermaid I don't think..it was a thin, tall tan bin that might fit under your tank. I ended up not using it since I wanted to connect two, but that didn't seem possible. That would be awesome to have a huge trash can as a sump.

I would be perfectly fine with a bin as a sump.. But will it look trashy? The tank is in the living room and the stand is usually open to provide cool air for the chiller soo i dont want it to look bad. Parents wouldnt like it :eek: but ill keep that idea in mind! What did you think of the RSM stand online hank?

Um, why do you need to provide cool air for a chiller? ...It's a chiller. And I thought the stand looked awful and cramped. I literally stopped looking into them because of the fact if I wanted to upgrade something on my own it was nearly impossible, aka use my current reef octopus.

Use a 15H. It'll give you more headroom than a 10 but it would probably have little room for a skimmer. I did two refugiums with 15H sumps and was very satisfied with both. I know that isn't very big but it's kind of a tight space. If you aren't interested in a refugium it would accommodate a skimmer easily.

The chiller doesnt use a coil, ut uses fans to cool the water before pumping it back into the tank. The chiller needs cooler air to be used in the fans in order to chill the water. If the stand was closed then the chiller would be giving off heat and the heat would be trapped so it would be using warm air to try and chill warm water which wouldnt work at all, it would be suffocating itself. Also, the chiller breaths from the front not the back. If it breathed from the back then it would work out fine because the back has open slots..

You can always visit a Tap Plastics with your own spec and they will build you one but it won't be cheap. I built one myself from pieces I had them cut for me, that is an option too.

Hmm ya i dont want to spend too much on the tank, would rather invest most of it in a nice skimmer. So im thinking we will buy a 15 tall...is there any way we could buy a cube tank? And install the bubble catchers ourselves?

Well we have 300 bucks for this project (lets try not to spend our life savings here lol) but i assume we could find a 15 gallon for around 30 bucks. To make the sump with supplies and tubing and the return pump im gunna estimate around 80 bucks. Maybe a little fuge light for 25 bucks. That will cost around 135 bucks but lets round it to an even 150 in case things get more expensive then i thought. That gives us 150 dollars give or take a few for a skimmer, any suggestions?

A 15 high is probably going to cost more than 30$ because it isn't common, they would have to special order one in for you. DIY is definitely the way to go if your getting the 15 high though. A good thing with that tank size is that water level will be higher. But that also can be a bad thing. If you can, build the sump around the skimmer, so everything will fit once you buy it.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Well we have 300 bucks for this project (lets try not to spend our life savings here lol) but i assume we could find a 15 gallon for around 30 bucks. To make the sump with supplies and tubing and the return pump im gunna estimate around 80 bucks. Maybe a little fuge light for 25 bucks. That will cost around 135 bucks but lets round it to an even 150 in case things get more expensive then i thought. That gives us 150 dollars give or take a few for a skimmer, any suggestions?

Try not to underestimate costs. You need to factor in plumbing, a return pump, silicone, plexi for the baffles, filter sock/holder if you do use that, etc... I'm not trying to scare you but I thought I was going to be able to build mine a lot cheaper than it ended up being lol

Back
Top Bottom