Adding a trigger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigggt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys i have a 200 gallon live rock fish only tank and currently have a porc puffer ,1 blue tang,and 1 purple tang also i marron clown fish

can i add a trigger and if so whatv kind or would something else be better like a yellow tang or something

all opinions appreciated

You can add a trigger, here are the mellow ones, there cool fish to have.

Pinktail 10-12 inches- medium aggressive - mines very docile
Niger 16-18 inches - medium aggressive
Bluethroat - 10-12 inches - docile - males have the blue throat, females don't
Crosshatch - 10-12 inches - docile - expensive
Sargassum - size I dont remember - docile - not as hardy as the others

Kaye

You can try one of my all time favorites...the clown trigger. Absolutly stunning colors and patterns. Awesome.

Clown Triggers are a beautiful fish BUT many have issues like not wanting tank mates ........lol
If you were to add a clown it would be with Great Caution & at your own risk .....
Caution such as many of your fish may not survive this trigger & you definaltly put them at risk!

Kaye

If you add the trigger last (i.e. after your current inhabitants) it may tend to be less aggressive, than vice versa.

Niger- Proven Veggie eaters and keep to themselves for the most part. Beautiful under blue lighting.

I'd intro a clown but buy him smaller then your other tank mates.. then the pecking order can be established.. once he gets bigger then the tankmates he might be like clifford the big red dog.. VERY FRIENDLY!!!

Thanks for your opinions guys but the LFS guy talked me out of it saying he would kill my puffer but if the puffer ever goes a trigger will definately be the next fish in the tank :D

IMO the LFS is wrong.. I have a DF puffer and a BT trigger and they were fine together. In a 200 gal tank there is more then enough room for a puffer and a trigger... Not sure where the LFS is getting his info...
A picasso or clown trigger when they get large may be aggressive but the others would be fine.
Good luck with what ever you choose...

I agree, many people keep triggers and puffers together, just stay away from the aggressive triggers like Clown, Queen, Rectangular, Blueline and so on...
But you can get one of the more docile triggers & some of those are even slow growers.

Kaye

Point in fact I had a VERY large queen trigger. He was so aggressive I named him Mr. Stophales. (he was the devil). He literally ate his way through my tank, in the process killing a Niger Trigger, a Lunare Wrasse (a long time inhabitant and aggressive to boot), 2 lookdowns (that were in the tank for a total of 20 minutes while I was working on another tank. In fact the only thing he did not kill was my eel, a yellow tang (go figure), and my porcupine puffer. The point is if there was ever a trigger that was going to kill a puffer... Mr. Stophales was the one, and he did not kill him. I did see him go after the puffer once, but he simply puffed up and sat there looking at him, like bring it on dude.

Also my Niger and Puffer had been together for over a year with no problems. I would suggest a Huma, or a Rectangularis, or Niger, as they are all pretty mellow and should be fine.

Queen Triggers are very aggressive, there should be Warning Signs on their tanks at LFS. LOL

Kaye

Try the humu-humu (picaso). Very beautiful also. And they are more peaceful than clowns.

I haven't had any experiences with undulated triggers or Niger triggers. I'd love to buy a Niger trigger, now that someone mentioned its beauty with moon lighting. But since my tank is overstocked as it is, I am going through "let's buy another fish" addiction Rehab. :p

however, I do suggest the humu-humu trigger.

Wow! I am sorry about that :oops:

I especially feel bad for the moray eel. Thanks for sharing the experience.

i have a niger hes the greatest fish ever gets along great with any all my tangs and my puffer and eels.. and they are beautiful under blue lighting...they get way better with age...other than that i would recommend the pinktail...also medium agressive...after that the bluethroat

HI guys just wanted to let you know that i ended up getting a Niger Trigger,and so far after 4 days he is fitting in just perfect.

In my area the only triggers usually available are the picasso and once in a while a clown,so when i saw this pet store had 4 Niger triggers i couldn't resist

thanks for the suggestions

Back
Top Bottom