adding calcium to the tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fisheye

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,
I would like to increase calcium concentration in my fishtank. Reading around it looks like there is a very complicated chemistry behind. To me it seems that the use of the calcium chloride method is the easiest but I am worried to increase also the chlorine concentration in the tank. Any suggestion ? what chemical should I add to balance chlorine and alkalinity ? any other salt I can use ? I have access to a molecular biology lab so I have all the chemicals I may want.

thanks

You need to purchase a calcium test kit. There are many calcium additives availble at your LFS. You should follow their directions and make dosing adjustments accordingly. As far as cholrine and alk go, regular PWC will take care of that.

I heard about Calcium Gluconate. Is there anybody ever used it to rise calcium concentration ? it should be pretty safe because calcium is chelated with a sugar. Any idea ?
Thanks

Have you tested your calcium levels yet too see what you have and what your using? I agree with HAra that if you need calcium in the tank kalk is the way to go

Back
Top Bottom