adding coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I just read in my book that new SW keepers shouldn't mess with corals for 9-12 months. Partially because of the more pristine water that's needed, which requires a more experienced fishkeeper, as well as a very stable, healthy tank environment.

I added mine after about 3 months I have had no problems. Start with the hardiest corals you can find. Like Toadstools,polyp colonies,shrooms and such. There are even some SPS corals that are very easy to keep.

3 months is a good rough figure. Personally I think it takes at least that long for the aquarium to stabilize and the LR to settle in. I wouldn't add anything other than a cleanup crew till then, but that's just me. Try telling most people to wait 3 months before adding fish :roll:

Good rule of thumb is after the tank has stabalized, soft 3-4 months, LPS 5-8 month and SPS 10-12 month.

Basically, hardiest to most sensitive. Not only does it allow the tank to mature so it can support the more sensitive corals, it give the reef keeper the time needed to learn the necessary maintenance to keep them. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

I really had no interest in corals until my tank was four or five months old. I had laned on fish only, then learned of the benifits of LR, then bought a mushroom colony at the LFS just for kicks. I was hooked from that moment on. A bit off the subject but a good example of how a reef tank comes to be. I say get a cheap hardy polyp or mushroom colony and give it a whirl. Consider yourself warned...Lando

I've got 10lbs of LR curing in a 29gal Qtank.
After mid July I'll have the LR for my 40gallon shipped and start the joyous cycling process.
Luckily I have that 75gallon planted to satisfy my fish gazing needs.

Back
Top Bottom