Adding more live sand to tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PurplePolyp

Aquarium Advice Freak
If I add sand to my already established tank to get a deeper sand bed, will it cause any problems with nitrates and nitrites, or possible cause a new cycle? Should a put the sand in another tank with a filter and power head for a few days first?

Nitrates could become a problem in the long run. You should be cleaning it and skmewhat mixing it up to keep those under control. As far as the cycles or bacteria adding new isn't going to hurt a thing

I added a bag of sand 3 months ago. The one i used is i think caribsea with a seawater + bacteria on it, what i did is open the tightly sealed bag and scooping the sand and sea water with a good size cup and gently putting it inside my tank. I only use it because i want to add it right away and want more bacteria in my tank ill go there later and take a picture a little expensive though so i only add one bag :(

You may have some die off by covering up the already present aerobic bacteria. Because if that I would add the sand in sections a few days to a week apart. Left front , right front, centre etc. adding a thin layer at a time might work as well. Just do it slowly over time.

Cool so it can be done :) planning to put sugar sized sand on top of my 40lbs special grade Rees sand n my 55 gal tank :)

I would use clean dry sand. I dont buy into the gimmick of the bacteria loaded sand. Ive used it before but only for hopes of cycling my the start of my tank quicker. You'd probably be risking a mini cycle if the bacteria in it is dead. Dry sand will be seeded by the existing sand.

Ok, dry sand sounds better. Does it still need to be cleaned? How do I clean it?

You can just rinse it out in a bucket. Keep filling it up with tap or ro/di and pour it out. Keep repeating until the water no longer turns cloudy. Then just let it sit outside in the sun for a couple days to dry it out.

Besides all the rinsing and preparing the sand for your tank, get yourself a long piece of PVC pipe. Use it to slowly pour the sand into your tank when you are ready to add it. This will prevent the tank getting cloudy and causing issues.

Besides all the rinsing and preparing the sand for your tank, get yourself a long piece of PVC pipe. Use it to slowly pour the sand into your tank when you are ready to add it. This will prevent the tank getting cloudy and causing issues.

Thanks!! Great idea.

Back
Top Bottom