aiptasia problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kohan Bros.

Aquarium Advice Freak
i am pretty sure i have some aiptasia but wondering if i should let them be or remove them tia

Most people remove them, although there are a few that don't. They just multiply to epidemic proportions if not taken care of. I have had a few on my glass and removed them with a razor blade. I recently found one on a piece of LR I had bought. I purchased a couple of Peppermint Shrimp (who are known to eat Aiptasia), and they took care of that one real quick. Others have used stuff called Joe's Juice and I believe inject the Aiptasia with a syringe to kill them, or maybe just nearby them I am not sure. I do know that the Peppermint Shrimp took care of mine.

If you use a razor to get them off the glass, be careful to get all of it and don't leave any parts behind, they will just "grow" back, each piece left behind can become another Aiptasia.

Good luck.

Mike

You can also make a paste out of kalk and use a turkey baister to "feed" it to them. They will grab it thinking its food and then just melt right before your eyes.

word of advice, if you dont want them later KILL THEM NOW!!! they spread all over and make it difficult to get rid of them. I started with two I think and didnt kill cuz I thought they where neat, Big mistake two turned into tweenty now I cant seem to get rid of them.

one of the first additions to my new tank was 2 peppermint shrimp. Never had a problem with aptasia

darb2 said:
one of the first additions to my new tank was 2 peppermint shrimp. Never had a problem with aptasia

ditto. My lr came with some so I bought 4 (only 3 made it home) peppermint shrimp at the same time. I never see them, but withing two days, there wasn't a trace of aptasia.

Looking at the link that scuba posted it made it seem that peppermint shrimps aren't too reef-friendly...are they?

ClamKnuckle said:

Looking at the link that scuba posted it made it seem that peppermint shrimps aren't too reef-friendly...are they?

The author said," There have also been reports of L. wurdemanni eating the polyps on small polyp sceleractinians. So I would think twice about adding this one. "

That's not exactly conclusive. The author does not even make the assertion themself, just that there have been "reports."
Personally, I have heard far more positive reports than negative on the use of peppermints.

As long as you get true peppermint shrimp, and not the dancing shrimp that look very similar, you shouldn't have any problems with them eating polyps.

I have two peppermints in my reef and have never had a problem with them eating corals. Be careful you get peppermints though, camel shrimp look pretty similar and tend to nip at corals.

"Aiptasia Eating Shrimp: Peppermint Shrimp are by far the top choice of aquarists for eating aiptasia anemones, but the trick with this one is making sure you get the RIGHT species of shrimp. Even though the Camelback Shrimp (Rhynchocienetes uritai) and the Peppermint Shrimp (Lysmata wurdemanni) are very similar in appearance, they are NOT the same. It is important that you learn how to properly identify these two species, because the Camelback is often misidentified or misrepresented and sold as a Peppermint. The TRUE Peppermint Shrimp is the L. wurdemanni species. This one is the real aiptasia eater, which is also considered by most aquarists to be reef safe, whereas the R. uritai is less likely to eat aiptasia.or be trusted in a reef tank"

reference: http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/anemonecare/a/aa100798_2.htm

Back
Top Bottom