algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rhomb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi guys, i had my tank settled up for about 4 weeks, and it is now looking ok, all the perimeters are at 0, and i already have a damsel 5that looks really happy in htere, plus i have some sort of cleaning crew ( 2 turbo snails, and 1 hermit crab)

My question is, qhen will algae come? there isnts any in there, or about, i thought it would come faster!
TIA

My question is, qhen will algae come? there isnts any in there, or about, i thought it would come faster

Depends on a lot of things and what algae you are talking about. The lighting, food, and tank parameters all play important roles.

It is different for every tank but, overall, diatoms will come first followed by hair and then coralline. It may take two months for the entire algae cycle to complete with diatoms taking about 2-3 weeks to show up.

I have had my tank up for just over 2 months now and am still having diatom problems. They have died down a little, but I still see brown diatoms on the glass right now. I have not had any hair algae yet coralline is really starting to grow instead.

Figure that out...

:D

Depending on your lighting and the nutrients in the water...it may not come. This is not a bad thing ;) You may at this point just have enough to support the small clean up crew you have. When I used to run FO tanks with just the NO lights that come with the tanks, it was very rare for me to get more than just a little diatom growth.

Back
Top Bottom