Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigsnuff

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I came into the office this morning and there has been a significant algae growth since saturday in my salt tank. Is there any cause for concern? The power may have went out for an hour or so but I am not sure. Thanks for the help

Whether it's cause for concern depends on several things. Is it a new tank? Do you do regular water changes? Do you use a skimmer? What does the algae look like?

Thanks for the reply, it looks brown, The tank has been set up for about 2 years. We moved it up to my office about a month ago and it has been doing well. I have just purchased a skimmer but it is not running yet. I do a 20 gal water change on the 27th of each month.

My guess is that the move of the tank disrupted the balance in it a bit. I would remove the algae as needed and things should return to normal.

Just for curiosity and to not overlook anything, could you describe your tank a bit........size, lighting, livestock, substrate, etc.

The tank is a 90 gallon oceanic glass tank. There are two hermit crabs, one brittle star. Two yellow tangs, four small damesel's, one coral beauty and about 100 lbs of live figi live rock. I just added a fresh 30 lbs of figi which make up the 100lbs. I have noticed that some of the small anemone that were on the figi look like they maybe are not doing as well as when I first placed them in there.

I do a 20 gal water change on the 27th of each month.

I just added a fresh 30 lbs of figi which make up the 100lbs.

I agree with Hoops, with the addition that if this is the frst water change since the move, it is possible that there are more nutrients in the source water for the algae to feed on, that and the addition of the new rock has certainly increased the nutrients in the tank.

I will flip the agreement back to reefrunner :D

With the addition of the new rock, the dieoff could be adding on to whatever potential nutrients could be in your source water. If this is the same water you have always used, I would guess that once the rock fully cures and the tank achieves a balance again...things will return to normal. If it is a new source of water, I would test it for nitrates, phosphates, etc. (didn't know if "moving up to your office" meant a new building/area)

I did move it completely to a new building. I used different water this time which could be a problem now that I think about it. I used Crystal Springs drinking water in the five gallon container. I did not think to test it first. Do you think this is necessary with this type of water.

Yes I do, you should consider purchasing an RO/DI filter for your aquariums, this will give you very pure water and you are the quality control manager. As a matter fo fact, AquariumAdvice.com is giving one away to the member that refers the most new members for the month of June, check out the announcement at the top of every forum for details.

Back
Top Bottom