Algae growth??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr new

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Before I ask any questions my 29g tank's livestock is -
Orange spot goby
Ocellaris clown
Captive bred banggai cardinal
Zebra hermit
5 red leg hermits
2 astraea snails
Nassarius snail
12lbs of cured live rock
25ish lbs of dry rock
Now with that said I have waaaaay to much brown diatoms. Its all over and wont go away. I am doing large water changes weekly now to try and get rid of it and keep lights on for 8 hours. Feed every other day too. I want to get coralline algae but I dont know how. Im currently using the led lights that came with the tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1419617533967.jpg
    1419617533967.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 91
That doesn't look too bad at all

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What you are describing is simply a 'life stage' of a new tank. Diatoms feed off of the silicates in the sand and rock. Once it is all consumed, they fade away without issue.

The same can be said about coraline growth. You will see more grow as the tank matures and stabilizes. In my tank, which has been going since 2012 is just now seeing the coraline growth really take off. There has always been some, but it just never did much of anything.

The only other thing about coraline is that it normally needs to come into the tank from somewhere. If none came in from the rocks, it won't just appear. It can come in from coral frags, snails, or even from the scrapings of it from a friend's tank.

You have to have coralline algae in the tank for it to grow. Those purple rocks look to be painted, and not coralline covered. Oops...Hank just said that.
Meanwhile, coralline grows pretty slowly and no where near as fast as diatoms. Everyone has to go through an ugly stage in the beginning. There's no way around it. Make sure you add some meaty foods for the nassarius snail. They are carnivores.

Ok thank you. I guess I kust have to be patient.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom