Algae Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefsforme

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
On the glass of m 6 gallon nano cube, there is algae growth. It is very bright green, and i used an algae scraper, algae magent, and even my cuc cant even take it off, except more and more grows and spreads on the glass. What should I do?:confused:

What source water are you using? What is your Nitrate reading?

Slightly off topic- CUC = cucumber or clean up crew?

What's in your CUC? Our Astreas did alot of work on green algaes.

1 Nerite Snail, 1 Nasuarius snail, 1 blue legged hermit crab, and 1 red scarlet reef hermit crab.

How is your lighting, old bulbs can cause algae. Try cutting your lighting hours. Phosphates in your water can feed algae. I would recommend using RO DI water.

Algae problems are a common thing on new saltwater setups. I have well over 100 nerite snails in my 75g plus the other snails and hermits as well as a few brittlestarfishes.

Are we talking hairy algae, or just green coralline algae? Either way, a razor blade should take it off in a jiffy. (As long as we're talking a glass tank...)

Also... you might want to get a handful more of the little nassarius snails for your sand bed, and a couple either astrea or trochus snails. Right now, that poor single nerite has a lot of work cut out for it! I've found that the astreas and trochus are much better on the rock and glass than the nerites.

Back
Top Bottom