ALGEA!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lando

Aquarium Advice Addict
Over the last few weeks I have noticed a thin layer of rust/dark red/burgandy algea on my LS substrate. No big deal, it is easily removed by brushing the substrate. Well, today I noticed a patch of stringy hair algea of the same color. Now it is time to get rid of it. What is the best way? Lighting is 4x65 CF with two one watt moons. Schedule...Actinics on at 11 am, off at 11 pm. 10000K on at noon, off at 10pm. Moons on at 10pm, off at 4am. Al tank parameters are good. Temp is 80, amonia/nitrite are 0. Nitrates are 10. Ph is 8.2. SG is 1.024. Alk is 4. i have not tested for phosphates yet. help me get rid of this stuff. Thanks! Lando

The thin layer stuff sounds like cyano. Welcome to the club. Definately test for PO4 and maybe try and redirect water flow. Some algae is due to low flow. Maybe cut back on feedings?

I siphon mine out with a small hose.

Ditto to everything ellisz said. A water change will help too.

Ditto, as a matter of fact I recently rid of mine. My PO4 was running high so I added a deionizer to my RO unit and ran a couple of PO4 sponges. That along with a skimmer upgrade eliminated it by about 95%.

thanks everyone! I did a bit more research and I think it is cyno. I tested for PO4 and it came back at .5. I just put in some Phosguard by Seachem to lower it so we will see. Don't know where I am picking the PO4 up at. I hanve a Kent Marine four stage RO/DI that I use for all changes and top offs. I feed conservatively and do not have a huge bio-load. Skimmer is working great. Any other ideas? Thanks...Lando

Yeah, I'd test the water straight out of the unit.. could be your membrane or the di cart needs replacing.

Yup, thats where mine was coming from. My source water was .5. Added the 3rd stage deionizer and bingo the level want down to just about 0. It changed everything.
Its cool to run the PO4 remover, but you need to eliminate the source.

Q-shark, I agree. the PO4 remover is simply a "band-aid". It treats the problem but not the cause. Does anyone know what part of my RO/DI unit takes out PO4? The unit has probabally only filtered 300-400 gal. Time for replacing already? This hobby just keeps adding up, doesn't it?

the DI takes out the PO4 mostly. I found that the hard way, I didn't have one at first. Did you test your source water? That will tell the tale.
ChaChing!! :wink:
Tell my about it, I figured the other day that I have $1000 into live rock....stinkin rock. :lol:
My wife is ready to turn my tank into a planter. :evil:

Yah, if my wife could me or my tank up we would both be in the garage. however, I do catch her looking at it a lot.

Back
Top Bottom