Am I just setting myself up for a hard crash? Is this normal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XXFirefighter

Aquarium Advice Addict
I dont' test os often as I should. I do it once a month. I check the SG when I do top offs once a week. As for water changes, I do a 13 gallon change once a month as well...

I have like 4 diffewrent corals in the tank, cleaner shrimp, 3 emerald crabs, blue tux urchin,1 turbo,6 or so other nass and assd snails and 6 or so hermits. Along with 3 Chromis,3 cool forgot the name gobies, 1 yellow clown goby,a clown, 1 lawnmower, and a electric flame scallop.

I feed every other day with my own mix of blender mush and spot feed the corals once a week. Ohh and when I feed the corals i add reef elements and a lil extra calicium and iodine. Nothing measured, just a squirt on each side of the tank...

Thats ALL i do to my tank...

Is it really this easy?

0 ammonia
0 nitrite
specific gravity of 1.022 to 1.026
pH OF 8.2 TO 8.4

imo yes and i feel that after awhile ya can walk up to a tank and tell somethings amiss !! im kinda like you but always watch what the animals are telling me !! i do test ca/alk about weekly just to easy my mind on hows things are going !

Wow you do all that?

Just Kidding. Sounds about like my regiment. I do test a little more often though. :wink:

iodine <---- just be carefull with this !! i use lugols but add a few drops everyother day !! when i test still get 0 readings !! not messuring it imo isnt a good idea but when ya do ya test is it coming out very low reading??

I think you are taking big risks to be quite honest......you add way to much for testing so infrequently and one day it will catch up with you.

divemasterjim said:
spot feed the corals once a week

what does it mean to spot feed?

Probalby just feeds the coral a piece of meet or squirts some food their way. Many corals will gladly take food even though they get most/all of their food from light.

jamal-188 said:
divemasterjim said:
spot feed the corals once a week

what does it mean to spot feed?

Probalby just feeds the coral a piece of meet or squirts some food their way. Many corals will gladly take food even though they get most/all of their food from light.

exactly...
I just got some reef foods/invert food and a turkey baster and squirt some invert food their way ! Just to be sure they get enough....
I'll post a bunch of pics tomorrow when I get home from the station on all the corals i have in my tank...

Is iodine required? My 2 shrimp shed and grow no prob without it.... Is it needed for something else?

Overstocker said:
Is iodine required? My 2 shrimp shed and grow no prob without it.... Is it needed for something else?

I add it just cause...
I just want to make sure everything is happy...
If something happens then I need to start over then fine I will !
But all is going very strong and The fish are so happy !

in most situations iodine is replaced thru regular water changes so there is no need to add it. And if i can't test for it i won't add it.

one wonders why you asked the question to begin with then....I was under the mistaken impression you wanted advice.

Hara said:
one wonders why you asked the question to begin with then....I was under the mistaken impression you wanted advice.

I did, got lots of it thanks !
No more iodine adding for me !
Thanks !

Back
Top Bottom