Amazing mantis!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very intresting article, I am becoming more intrested in my hitch hiking matis shrimp every day now...

I remember seeing it for the first time when it was about 1/4 of an inch and it has grown to 1 1/4 inches now, intresting to see how big he gets.

I read everywhere they have been known to break glass, how common is this, does anyone know?

Breaking glass is pretty uncommon.. There have been a few instances but not too many at all.. In order for one to break glass it would have to be a rather large species.. I have a 2" or so mantis in my 29g and he has been there for a while now without issues..

HTH,
James

If you had a Hemisquilla ensigera, it could most certainly break the glass after it got bigger. If you had an 7 or 8 inch Odontodactylus scyllarus, most certainly. However, most won't. I even kept a 3 inch O.s. in a glass nano for a while. She was growing fast so I bought an acrylic tank.

Here's a lot of info on them
http://blueboard.rimlife.com/mantis/index.htm

i would think that if they did break the glass it would be by mistake like trying to bust open a crab and miss and hit the glass !!

Oh yeah----thought I would mention this. If possible use a titanium heater or don't have the heater in the tank. I know of several people who have fried their mantis when it got spooked when the light turned on.

MantisFreak said:
Oh yeah----thought I would mention this. If possible use a titanium heater or don't have the heater in the tank. I know of several people who have fried their mantis when it got spooked when the light turned on.

You mean it attacked the heater? Wow!!

Yes, this has happened to more than one person. I had a glass heater for a while with black electrical tape covering the light but decided not to risk it any longer and bought a titanium heater.

Great article, thanks! I would love to have a mantis, but I have a strict no potentially violent creatures clause in my marriage agreement...

We have a two year old who seems to get his hands into everything!!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom