Anemone Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlehring

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just received an online order of 2 Conde Anemones among other things. The anemones were less than stellar but my questions is how long does is take them to get comfortable?

My water parameters are all at 0. My water temp is 78 and I have LED lighting that is sufficient. My salinity is 1.027 which is a little high but not in the danger zone I don't think. I drip acclimated them for about 2 hours. Any past experience about how long it took your anemone to get comfortable would be appreciated.

I do know that Conde tend to move around quite a bit but I am anxious to see them expand!

Thanks in advance fellow reefers!

what are your lights exactly? where did you place it? more importantly, how old is your tank and what are your phos, alk, mag and calcium levels?

tao tronic LED's Model TT-AL01

Nitrate 0
Phosphate 0
Calcium 180mg/L (ppm)
Carbonate Hardness 53.7 ppm KH

They were placed near the bottom of the tank on live rock.

Tank is about 14 months old

So I woke up this morning and both anemones appear dead. No movement over night and still shriveled up. This has prompted me to do major "spring Cleaning" on my tank. I have always felt that I had too much sand in my tank. I have about 100lbs in a 55 gallon tank. So today I am scooping sand out about 40-50 pounds. Hopefully this will allow me to have a cleaner sand bed as well. I have never had the white sand that I see in many picture on the internet.

So I woke up this morning and both anemones appear dead. No movement over night and still shriveled up. This has prompted me to do major "spring Cleaning" on my tank. I have always felt that I had too much sand in my tank. I have about 100lbs in a 55 gallon tank. So today I am scooping sand out about 40-50 pounds. Hopefully this will allow me to have a cleaner sand bed as well. I have never had the white sand that I see in many picture on the internet.

did you ask the seller what kind of lights they had them under? don't scoop the sand out!!! scooping will release unwanted toxins, you want to just siphon the sand out.

I would give things time. The anemones have tier foot attached, so they aren't dead. They are just stressed from the trip. You did the right thing with the acclimation, just be patient. Sometimes it can take months for an anemone to get back to normal, though this is abnormally long in this case. I would give it a week.

I'd like to add that anemones can be very sensitive to LED lighting. They need a very long acclimation in some cases. If your fixtures are turned all the way up I bet that's the problem. I'd start them at zero, and ramp the light up over a period of weeks.

Back
Top Bottom