Anenome Porcelain Crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FeedingFrenzy20

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How do u tell if your crab has died or molted. I pulled the "body" out and it did not smell and i cracked it open a couple of days later and there was no meaty parts in it. It has been a week and have not seen a sign of him. how do i know if its alive or dead. is there anything that would eat it when it has a soft exoskelton. i dont have n e fish big enough to eat it and then its in there with pepperment shrimp, a coral banded and a pistol shrimp. any suggestions on where it would be. thanks for the help.

If it was dead I think you would have noticed things picking at it, etc. When my inverts molt they hide for a good week or so. Try to poke around with a flash light in the dark, you may have a better change of finding him crawling out after the lights are out if he feel vulnerable from a molt. Best of luck, im about to get my first porcelain this week.

Well, if you have the proper conditions for a sucessful molt (mainly enough iodine) I would say it should be within a week. My lightfoot took about 3 days and my cleaner shrimp take 3 -5 days from beginning the molt to showing their faces again. The best practice to ensure a good molt is doing frequent water changes and providing high water quality in general.

its just kinda nerve rackin waiting for him to reappear considering that he molted only 3 days after i bought him. he already became one of my favorite inverts in the tank and now i am just waitin to see him again

Back
Top Bottom