Angels & Corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JuanArti

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have two Angels in my tank and I want to add some more corals. What corals are they least likely to munch on. They haven't touched green star polyps.

I have not seen my angel touch my mushrooms , pylops or any of my corals really. He likes to eat algae and that's about all. I think you should safe , but every fish is different and they are reef safe with caution. You might find him nipping at smaller invertebrates in your tank.

JuanArti said:
I have two Angels in my tank and I want to add some more corals. What corals are they least likely to munch on. They haven't touched green star polyps.

With two in the same tank behavior can become unpredictable, your best bet ist to keep them will fed and plenty of hiding places. Keep an eye on them, and a few corals a time and give plenty of time to make sure they are going to start picking in things anytime soon. Some pick, some wont, just depends on the fish and environment.

They're always grazing on my rocks. My rocks are set up to have a bunch of places to hide. They look super happy. My parameters are perf. I feed them frozen brine every other day. I want to train them to munch on algae sheets.

JuanArti said:
They're always grazing on my rocks. My rocks are set up to have a bunch of places to hide. They look super happy. My parameters are perf. I feed them frozen brine every other day. I want to train them to munch on algae sheets.

Most if not all angels should not be in a reef tank. They eat polyps usually. If you have had this much luck you can try some hard corals maybe.
I would just avoid frogspawns and flowy corals like it. Personally i feel that could be an easy target for them.

It depends on what kind of angel and then the angels personality. Some are considered reef safe but people have had issues with them nipping corals and others have tried non reef safe that have had no issues with their corals.

I wouldnt suggest angels that arent reef safe with corals, but if they are it could be attempted. What kind of angels do you have? I have a coral beauty in my reef w/o issues.

I actually do have a reef safe angel, the Japanese swallowtail or spotbreast. She is beautiful and hasn't nipped on a single polyp or coral. Loves algae, just not coral. Good luck!

I have a Bi-Color Angel and a Flame. I've had them for a couple of days and theyre showing zero interest in my gsp

JuanArti said:
I have a Bi-Color Angel and a Flame. I've had them for a couple of days and theyre showing zero interest in my gsp

Those are basically dwarf angels. Imo those would be 'more reef safe' than larger angels like the french angel or queen angel

Alright good just wondering because my angels haven't nipped at my coral so so far so good.

Back
Top Bottom