Angry clownfish???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Randall

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there everyone, I seem to have a problem with my clownfish, I have had an anemone for quite some time now and struggled to get clownfish to use it I have 1 percula (common sorry about the spelling) and have recently purchased 1 clarki clown, now the percula has never touched it and the recently purchased clarki loves it which I love, the only problem is that the percula clown will now not stop bothering the littler clown and keeps going over to it and making a twitching kind of movement?? I would more than likely say it is aggressive seeing as theyre 2 different breeds of clowns as I don't think they will be breeding, has anyone encountered this before that may have any advice
Thanks

You are not suppose to mix different types of clowns. Once you have one kind of clown that is the type you must stay with. You can only keep them in pairs. Even numbers. And you must have a very large tank If you do mix species. Clowns are territorial. IMO you need to remove one, and stick with one species.

You going to have to be more descriptive than a twitching movement. Described said twitching movement? like is a a twitch then dart away, a get real close and vibrate? etc etc

It doesn't matter what movement. It's a display of aggression because he has two different species of clown in a tank that is clearly not big enough and not enough anemones to host in.

Yes the movement matters.... Depending on what type of movement they could be attempting to breed, fight, or just establish territory.... Even though they are two different species, and it is some what rare, they could be trying to pair up and mate. Also I am sure its not an issue of "not enough anemones to host in" as the Perc wanted nothing to do with the anemone in the first place. Contrary to popular belief clowns do not require an anemone to host.

jnsanders1983 said:
It doesn't matter what movement. It's a display of aggression because he has two different species of clown in a tank that is clearly not big enough and not enough anemones to host in.

In the wild its not uncommon to see a dozen clown fish hosting one anamone.

Randall said:
Hi there everyone, I seem to have a problem with my clownfish, I have had an anemone for quite some time now and struggled to get clownfish to use it I have 1 percula (common sorry about the spelling) and have recently purchased 1 clarki clown, now the percula has never touched it and the recently purchased clarki loves it which I love, the only problem is that the percula clown will now not stop bothering the littler clown and keeps going over to it and making a twitching kind of movement?? I would more than likely say it is aggressive seeing as theyre 2 different breeds of clowns as I don't think they will be breeding, has anyone encountered this before that may have any advice
Thanks

What's the tank size guy?

yetee said:
also his tank is 450 L ~ 120 us gal. I am sure there is plenty of room in there.

That is plenty no doubt about it. There are many poeple in this forum that house multiple sets of clowns. I've heard of differnt types of clowns also pairing as well.. the vibrating as stated iv only seen my clowns to that on the terrcotta pot and tea pot I have in there but that's because they think its real.

Hi guys abit of a debate going here, that's what I like, now then I have a 4th x 2ft x 2ft tank the main tank is 450 litres, the twitching action is a dart towards the clarkii do a few shudders right next to it and then back off, sometimes the perc chases it around the anemone but the clarkii always ends up in the middle of the nem tryin to back the clarkii away, I would say it seems aggressive but I wasn't sure because I believe the mating ritual is very similar, thanks for all the input guys

yeah the mating ritual is very similar. its hard to tell because of the darting which is an agressive motion but the shaking right up next to the other clown is what they do when mating. if you look on you tube for clownfish mating dance you can see what it looks like so you can compare.

Back
Top Bottom