Another Clam Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

usmcmarc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was looking at a clam at LFS. It was nice, opened up. I was wondering though...if looking at the clam horizontally...looking down at the inside as it's opened. I saw a hole in the membrane off to the left hand side in the center...is that normal or is the membrane ripped or something. I was considering buying it, but dont want to buy a sick or injured animal again.

Using cmor1701d's picture...I illustrated the location in the pic. The clam I was looking at was opened wider though, so you would not actually be able to see it if it were this one.

Attachments

• img_2966r_161.jpg
    img_2966r_161.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 25
That's it's "mouth" and possibly where it expels waste....

"The mouth" or inhalent siphon is where water is taken in and food and oxygen are processed. Waste is excreted inside their mantle cavity and forced out through the excurrent siphon.

Yeah...Probably not enough light... 72W of 10000K & 72W of Actinic (I can change out 1 actinic bulb for another 10000K for a total of 108W)

You can also check out the squamosa clam which is a medium light clam. Here is mine.

Attachments

• 100_0965_184.jpg
    100_0965_184.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 20
You should be fine with a squamosa as melosu58 said. No where near enough light for T. crocea. That picture was jsut after it was placed in the main tank. It opens much wider now that it is settled.

Back
Top Bottom