another sump question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr.Nate

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm gonna make a DIY sump.....I have a 55 gal and my sumps gonna be a 20 gal aquarium. I'm gonna use a HOB prefilter, and my question is.....does my submersible pump in my sump have to match the overflow coming out of my main tank? And if so, how do I know the rating for my prefilter? which pump would you recommend in the sump?

And also, is a "prefilter" the same as an "overflow"?

I suggest getting a bigger return pump and putting a ball valve on it to adjust the flow to what you need...you can always decrease the flow but you can not increase the flow more then what the pump is capible of doing.
and yes...overflow is the same as a prefilter

for instance: i have a single overflow with a 1" opening. I have dual mag 5 and adjust the flow to match pverflow and this way i have more flow/current in my tank without having to buy extra power heads, plus if one pump dies i have a second one as a backup. the down side is it takes up more room in your sump.
i plan to get a 2nd overflow box too
you can also get something like a mag 9.5 or higher and T if to give you dual returns and adjust the flow to match your overflow.
hope this helps.

Yes, that helps a lot.....I'm not familiar with ball valves, however....does this go on the tubing coming out of the pump?

A ball valve is able to be picked up at any home improvement place or plumbing store in your area. They are just a valve you can turn to cut off some water flow from your return pumps you will putt them inline with the tubing or pvc of the return pumps to the tank.

Pump wise to get ~ 15x / hr turnover you need a 825GPH pump. This one is close at 800GPH @ 4ft. (Assuming your not placing the sump much higher or lower)
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=DN1127

You need an overflow that will handle *at least* as much as your pump will put out. Why? Simple math..mess up the return flow and overdrive your overflow = trip to the carpet section of your fav store. Something like this but you need to know what the rated GPH is b4 you buy something..

http://www.aquaplumbers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3

O and b4 someone chimes in...10x turnover / hr is the old sk00l target. I have found that as close as I can get to 20x turnover / hr makes happier corals. No biggie if you prefer low flow, just hate to see someone blow some dollaz only to have to upgrade in a yr..

GL!

I was under the impression that the 15x to 20x turnover was regarding total current in the main tank and not necessarily the flow thru your sump.

I've seen that used as well and its just my personal opinion, but thats a mis use. Turnover or the number of times water leaves the tank, filters and is returned to the tank is pretty much what your talking about when speaking about a sump. Turnover in terms of water movement (Aka circulation) is another matter all together. I would imagine 800GPH in a 55G tank for water movement might keep your corals stressed considering the amount of current that would put in the display tank. Not syaing folks don't do it, but sticking to your question (or comment ; ) I am speaking strictly in terms of water from the display and returned via your filtration.

hth

GL!

Back
Top Bottom