Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-02-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Anti-Red Cyanobacteria Remover

Has anyone used this stuff? It says that it is reef safe and will not destroy your nitrifying bacteria. I know this seems impossible, but I know that cyanobacteria and normal prokaryotic bacteria are actually very different. Cyanobacteria are more closely related to eukaryotic cells (What we are made of), than prokaryotes (normal bacteria). The only thing that scares me is that it says cyanobacteria release toxins as they die and could distress your fish? Has anyone had this happen?

Old 04-02-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Try " chemi clean" I've heard it works great .., a buddy used some and was no worse for the wear.., just remember to turn off all protien skimmers,uv,reactors,..remove carbon and use an air stone,...a 20-25 percent water change is required after 48 hrs.....remember that you still have to find out WHY you were getting cyno and fix that so it will not happen again.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks for the advice. on this bottle of anti-red it says "must be used with a skimmer". ill look into chemi clean though. The cause is phosphates because I dont use Ro/di water. I think i need to start though
Old 04-02-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Must use the ro/ di filters for sure.., but these Also must be changed out on a regular basis.., make sure you replace them long before the manufacture's recommendations to be on the safe side., ( he had old filters).... I just replaced mine to be on the safe side,.....I can't reply to any other cyno remover than the chemi clean,....but I know it worked for him,..... Google it,...inexpensive too
Old 04-02-2011, 08:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for your help, yes it seems like that is the only way I'm going to be able to completely rid myself of cyano. I don't overfeed so it has to be the phosphates since I just use conditioned tap water instead of ro/di. Do you have a ro/di unit that you recommend?
-1 flame hawkfish
RYANLAWRENCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
chemi clean won't hurt you. just make sure the water is good or the cyano (which is only a symptom) will return. it will take multiple water changes to remove it once it's eradicated the cyano. follow the directions exactly.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:06 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think I might just try this anti-red stuff. I already have it and have read some good things about it on the internet. Ill let yall know how it performs
Old 04-02-2011, 09:28 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYANLAWRENCE
Thanks for your help, yes it seems like that is the only way I'm going to be able to completely rid myself of cyano. I don't overfeed so it has to be the phosphates since I just use conditioned tap water instead of ro/di. Do you have a ro/di unit that you recommend?
I bought a five stage ro/di unit from bulk reef supply,...I forget what I paid for it but it wasn't too bad,...I think you just gotta remember to replace the filters ( avail at bulk reef supply also) periodically as your mileage will vary from the manufactures ,.....I'm sure there's a million good units out there that'll all do the trick , but that's what I've got and it seems to be doing the job.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have used the chemiclean before awhile ago and it worked great! No change with my corals, inverts, or fish. Good luck with the anti-red stuff.
0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:08 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
some of the cyano cures are actually an antibiotic called erythromycin. there is debate about it wiping out the good bacteria along with the cyano. that would mean the tank would need to be recycled.
chemiclean claims no erythromycin is in their product.

Tags
bacteria, cyano, cyanobacteria

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com