Anyone have a Eel in a reef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ace1uno_00

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was looking at some and they all say Reef "with caution"
I wanted to know if anyone else has one in a reef and how they do?

Thanks guys.

well i have a snowflake moray, ppl usually sugges to leave it in a large tank with tonts hiding places. I left mine in the 35g refugium which i think a bit small but it seems doing alright. I wouldn't sugeest to leave it in the tank with any of those "slow and peaceful"fish such as the whole family of dragonet , sometimes even small clown fish would be a nice dinner when they rest. U need to be caution urself also, since when i put my hand in the tank, instead of hiding like other fish does, my moray actrually came ou and try to get as close to my hand as possible, I wouldn't dare to let it get that close within strike distances,but the good thing about that is i start to train it hand feeding, prety cool

The 'with caution" is there because eels love inverts. Your shrimp and crabs, for the most part, will probably be quick meals. Some, will crush your snails and hermits as well. Other than toppling rock structures, I'm pretty sure they leave corals alone - but, your inverts would probably disappear pretty quickly.

I've talked to people with snowflakes that keep them with snails and hermits with no problems. All animals are different - but, as a general rule I wouldn't say they would be safe with a moray.

i have a snowflake eel in my 75g reef tank....ive personally never had any other inverts in the tank with him except for snails and hermits...he seemed to leave them alone....hes pretty peaceful as long as you feed him regulary.....i also have an anemone and starfish in the tank...he doesnt bother him.......im even thinking about putting a crab in there to test it out....HTH

my snowflake and zebras are in tanks with hermits, snails, shrimp, mandarins, clowns..

With Caution.. keep an eye on them, keep it well fed and you will be fine

sweet. I was thinking about a snow flake. I have a 90 Gal. I'm piecing together and i just thought it would be cool to have a eel in one. Thanks guys.

I have a Puffer that i have with some shrooms, snails,crabs, starfish and it could careless if they were there. I guess its ture fish do have personalities.

my snowflake and zebras are in tanks with hermits, snails, shrimp, mandarins, clowns..
Keep in mind that this the exception, not the rule...big gamble.

Back
Top Bottom