Anyone need a trim?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PB_Smith

Aquarium Advice Addict
My banded coral shrimp has decided to take up barbering and his first customer was my Bangaii cardinal;

Before;

92584-albums13974-picture66966.jpg

After;

92584-albums13974-picture66967.jpg

the "Barber";

92584-albums13974-picture66970.jpg

funny thing is I just traded the shrimp I had for this one which is about a third the size of the other. I traded the first because after his most recent molt he decided that he was big enough to eat whatever he wanted and actively began "hunting". So I put this "baby" in there in his place and 5 days later during feeding I saw him lunge at and "scalp" the cardinal, then eat the bit of fin.
So maybe a random coincidence....no, he then began laying in wait and attacking when a fish came by.
So he is now living in solitary confinement in the refugium.

Nice pics :)

One of the guys at work has a SW tank and was complaining about a shrimp eating a fish. As myself and another guy are FW we were just agreeing with him until he mentioned it was a $40 meal! Then we were more understanding :)

coral banded shrimp will eat your fish once it gets big enough. right now it's a trim, later it's a full course meal

I have 2 CB shrimp almost 4+ years now never had a issue ,
I think it's how they are fed and the tank size
I also have a 6" lobster you would think he would make a meal out of my fish but he don't ,why because he can hide
he is just laid back in his rock not bothering a soul , I just used him for a example
most don't understand a lot of the times CB shrimp are housed in small tanks that right there will cause aggression
recommended tank size is 30g or larger
IMO 30g is still a tight fit for a CB shrimp as they can grow up to aprox 6"
I in all due respect don't think they should be housed in anything smaller than 60g
I keep them well fed and in larger tanks and there model citizens
in a 30g tank they have no true way of running to hide so they go into defense mode
heck if I had no were to run I would go into defense mode too it's called instinct
if you feel threatend are you going to just sit there or fight ?
CB shrimp come from the ocean that is huge plenty of places to run and hide to avoid confrontation , another example we take the CB shrimp from it's well known environment , and place it in a small 24'x18'x11 glass box , than we wonder why they get aggressive it's not the shrimps fault in all reality it's ours .

I have 2 CB shrimp almost 4+ years now never had a issue ,
I think it's how they are fed and the tank size
I also have a 6" lobster you would think he would make a meal out of my fish but he don't ,why because he can hide
he is just laid back in his rock not bothering a soul , I just used him for a example
most don't understand a lot of the times CB shrimp are housed in small tanks that right there will cause aggression
recommended tank size is 30g or larger
IMO 30g is still a tight fit for a CB shrimp as they can grow up to aprox 6"
I in all due respect don't think they should be housed in anything smaller than 60g
I keep them well fed and in larger tanks and there model citizens
in a 30g tank they have no true way of running to hide so they go into defense mode
heck if I had no were to run I would go into defense mode too it's called instinct
if you feel threatend are you going to just sit there or fight ?
CB shrimp come from the ocean that is huge plenty of places to run and hide to avoid confrontation , another example we take the CB shrimp from it's well known environment , and place it in a small 24'x18'x11 glass box , than we wonder why they get aggressive it's not the shrimps fault in all reality it's ours .

I am overall in agreement with you. My tank is a 30, and I am contemplating how to talk the wife into either;

Plan A: Purchasing a 50-60 gallon to replace the 30

or Plan B: (my preference)
Rearrange the bedroom in order to make room for the 100 gallon tank, custom stand and acrylic canopy sitting in storage.... would have to bring it in through the window....she will complain about the added expense.....:ermm:

hmmmmm

any suggestions:confused:

why can't you get a tank through the door , I used a hand truck and toted in my 90g standing upright , even around tight corners this will work as it's only 4ft long 22" deep and 19" wide it will fit through a standard door way standing upright
when I bought my 90g I was looking at 75g and 60g , it wound up cheaper to get the 90g the 75 and 60 both were around $350. I got the 90g for $307. after tax
I built my own stand for under $50 it's built like walls in a house with double sills top and bottom out of 2x4's I also got a box of flooring to wrap it and it still cost under $50. , I wasn't about to spend $400.+ for one of those nice looking stands they make out of partial board
if you click the link below my signature at the bottom of this post it will bring you to my build tread there you can see how I built the stand and it looks just like a piece of furniture

why can't you get a tank through the door , I used a hand truck and toted in my 90g standing upright , even around tight corners this will work as it's only 4ft long 22" deep and 19" wide it will fit through a standard door way standing upright
when I bought my 90g I was looking at 75g and 60g , it wound up cheaper to get the 90g the 75 and 60 both were around $350. I got the 90g for $307. after tax
I built my own stand for under $50 it's built like walls in a house with double sills top and bottom out of 2x4's I also got a box of flooring to wrap it and it still cost under $50. , I wasn't about to spend $400.+ for one of those nice looking stands they make out of partial board
if you click the link below my signature at the bottom of this post it will bring you to my build tread there you can see how I built the stand and it looks just like a piece of furniture

The tank itself isn't any problem, 60x18x18, I can pick that up one hand and easily get it through the door, it's the custom oak stand I made 33 years ago that is 62x19x30 that is the real bugger. I made the stand to last and it is certainly solid. I was a lumber yard manager for a home improvement store and cherry picked a beautiful sheet of 3/4 oak plywood. Cut it so all the side, front and rear panels matched perfectly. ;)
A similar stand would cost around $600-$700 to purchase.
It takes at least two people to maneuver it safely.
will post pics when I finally get it out of storage.

wow 68" tall you must need a step ladder to do maintenance lol
mines 48' tall and I need a step stool and I'm 6ft
but wow all oak it must be nice

wow 68" tall you must need a step ladder to do maintenance lol
mines 48' tall and I need a step stool and I'm 6ft
but wow all oak it must be nice

The stand on mine is a metre or yard high and next time I'd go a bit lower. Doing anything usually involves a ladder.

that was my mistake not paying attention I built it the height of my 40b stand not taking into consideration the height of the tank ,but at-least it's at eye level lol like my wife always say's
but it's too late to cry over spilt milk I just use a nice tall step stool, I want to build a platform that runs the length of the tank , only issue it would kind of block about 6" of the bottom tank is a 37g bow front it's 21"tall and sits underneath the 90

just read this LMAO :lol:

would have to bring it in through the window....she will complain about the added expense.....:blink:
The trick is ::

get her a all day spa treatment gift card so she's not around all day when you do it :D
and when she comes home she'll be so relaxed she wont yell and will forget all about any expense(y)

Back
Top Bottom