Aqua Vitro Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keithhjs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone try using this brand salt, specifically for a reef? Looking for reviews.

I have wondered this myself. Really has not been much chatter on the forums about these products. This is Seachems premium line correct?

Yes. I am going to try it. I got a 220 gal mix for $62 so for that price I figured I would test it out.

I'm pretty new at saltwater but I am trying two salts right now. Aqua Vitro and H2Ocean Pro. I've had a bucket of each. I just ran out of AV so I'm going to try the H2O. The AV seems to be great. Coral loves it and coraline exploded. The thing I don't like about it is that it's cloudy for a while and leaves a ton of film and sediment in my mixing barrel and my power head and heater in the barrel are white when I'm done. The H2O mixes crystal clear and leaves no residue. I did my last water change with the AV so I'll test again to see where all the parameters fall (30 gallon changes in 100 gal tank). At 62 a bucket it's a steal. It's $100 at only lfs I can get it. H2O is $90. The only problem I have heard about H20 is mag levels are a bit low. If everything is comparable I'll stick with H2O because it mixes so much better and is natural. From people I know that have more experience claim they are the best two salts available. I'll go test the AV right now and let you know (before adding it to my tank).

RO Water
Temp 79*
Salinity 1.024
KH 7
Calcium 380
PH 8.4
Mag 1300

All tests were with API kit except for Mag was red sea. Used a calibrated refractometer.

Hope this helps.

You are correct about using the best salt that fits you and your needs. For me its Red Sea Coral Pro. I tried Tropic Marine Reef just a small box since i only have a 55g but i didn't see much difference so i went back to RSCP its cheaper at $54 shipped and works best for me

Have you ever tried the tropic Marin? We have had nice success with it. Next bucket I am going to try the bio actif just to see if their is a difference...

There is a much better chart out there, but I found this and it should help out.. Almost everything from seachem has been helpful ime. I know a few people who use it and they love it. Tropic marin pro is a bit iffy. People have reported having alk burns on some corals. Others love it though.

Attachments

• image-953138872.jpg
    image-953138872.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 70
So far I have only mixed 5 gallons of the Aquavitro. I added it to 15 gal. of already mixed IO reef crystals & have not done a PWC with it yet. I did notice some of the stuff people have said about it such as a sulfur smell and fizzing. I did not notice any cloudiness whatsoever but it was added to a mix already. I actually read someone's review stating that mixing it with IO increases it's dissolving capabilities but who knows. I paid $62 and it makes 220 gal so that's not the overpriced buckets people say that they are buying from LFS at full price I think. I did notice like so many say that it does take less salt to get the specific gravity you want. Just adding 1 of the large cups I use for my salt (that makes my IO come out to 1.025 per 5 gal) made my SG 1.027 and that was adding 5 gal to the previous 15 I had mixing. Will update as tried and tested.

Back
Top Bottom