Aquatic life T5HO 6 bulb fixture BULB QUESTIONS???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZacksFlowerhorn123

Aquarium Advice Activist
I had 3 actinic bulbs and 3 12,000K. 1 12K burned out. Can I get a UVL Blue light and have 4 actinics and 2 12,000??? Would ths be allright?? I want it to look more blue then white. For some reason that deep blue appeals to me.. Would it still be intense enough for my LPS and soft corals?? I dont plan on having SPS.. Maybe a couple of the easy to keep SPS..

I have; 1 frogspawn , 1 hammer coral, 1 galaxea tooth coral, 2 Zoanthid colonies, and 1 leather coral.

My tank is a STANDARD 55 GALLON LONG, dimensions(48X12X18) would i still be able to put lets say a brain coral or Micromussa on the sand bed?
Thanks in advance!!! :3(y)

It would be better to do half white half actinic. You could get 2 ATI blue plus (blue) and 3 aquablue specials (white w/ a hint of blue) and maybe a purple plus light or true actinic light. I have this combo on my lights and it's a great blueish white combo. I don't know if you want all new bulbs, but if you wanted to replace the white lights I would recommend the aquablue specials b/c they have more blue than most white lights.

Good suggestions.. Im not one for replacing stuff that works unless it is really crappy.. But i do like that blue look.. So are you saying that it would be fine if i got an actinic. Or would i not be able to keep as many high light corals with less 10000k bulbs?... -all

ZacksFlowerhorn123 said:
Good suggestions.. Im not one for replacing stuff that works unless it is really crappy.. But i do like that blue look.. So are you saying that it would be fine if i got an actinic. Or would i not be able to keep as many high light corals with less 10000k bulbs?... -all

More actinic means your not getting as high light levels as 10-12ks but if you aren't keeping sps then you've got plenty of light for whatever else

Allright so i bought a true lumen actinic 460nm bulb...... Its not as blue as i dreamed it would be........ It is actually not much more blue then my original bulbs. My bulb placement from front to back is blue, 12k, blue, 12k, blue, blue... Any suggestions..

I centered my 12k's over my corals.. The bulbs came with the fixture and aren't any good from what I can tell.. The brand of the bulbs that came with the fixture is Sea world????? What bulbs would be the bluest possible?? Giesemann, Ati blue+, or UVL blue....

Are there more blue bulbs then these??? Or could what I am looking for be a purple or pink bulb?? I just want it to be really blue in there and one of my other actinics is about to go out.. So i will replace that one with whatever bulb is suggested to be the most blue/purple..

Also what would the best bulb placement be??? Or is what I did with the 12ks over the corals good? Thank you and ill check back in a couple hours.

I might just have to get all new bulbs.

Last edited:
I think obscurereef had the best suggestions for getting you the look you want. If you use his list you'd have a very blue tank and no problems growing the corals you have.

Back
Top Bottom