Are emerald crabs good for a tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zbatey

Aquarium Advice Regular
Are emerald crabs good I've heard that they can eat things you don't want them too and are they worth the buy?

I also wanted to know about cleaner crews. I have a ninety gallon reef and would like to know what to get and how many

Mine didn't make it, my nitrates went nuts so I don't know that I can say they aren't hardy. He never bugged anything, and ate a TON of hair algae. Plus they are dirt cheap. I will give it another go eventually.

ive had mine about a week so i cant comment on hardiness but he does leave everything alone, rarely seen.

I had mine for a couple months before i tore down my tank. I love emerald crabs.

i have kept them in many tanks. i notice that one of them becomes either male or female and gets large. this particular crab tends to kill the others. i have no idea why.
that said, i like to look at them. they don't hurt much as far as i've seen. picking at the rock mostly.
all crabs are opportunistic feeders and i wouldn't put anything past them though.

I try to have a good cleaner crew but every snail I put in dies or flips over behind the rocks

well, you don't need snails anyway. you have an algae scraper for the glass, right? better glass cleaner than any army of snails i have seen.

Blue leg hermits are inexpensive and great at cleaning a tank. I have 4 in my tank and just 2 turbo snails. The snails aren't going to keep the glass spotless, your better off with a magnet cleaner for that.

No better, blues are just easier to get here. It may be different where you are. Hermits are very cheap and great cleaners. My rock stays spotless thanks to them.

I have blue and red. Both seem to be good. And whenever I get emerald crabs they always seem to die as well. Not sure why

Bought 2 emeralds, 6 red legs and 2 turbos for my 125.

I dropped one of the emeralds on top of a field of hair algae and he's been killin it! Hopefully, I'll have good luck. But at this rate, he may eat himself to death.

I have about 30 Mexican algae eating crabs in my 125 gallon and u don't really have to aclimate them and they start going on all the rocks and help with the algae they are very hardy and cheap! I got each one for 90 cents they help a lot!

Actually there Mexican algae eating hermits srry but for there little size they really wrk hard

Man I think I have a lot of CUC compared to most. I have 5 nassarius snails, like 10 turbos, 10 astreas, 10 margarita's and 3-4 Mexican turbo snails. I also have about 10-15 small blue leg hermits, 10 mediums and about 5 large one. I also have about 10-15 red leg hermits. As well as 2 sand sifters stars, 3 peppermint shrimps, one cleaner shrimp, and 2 emerald crabs. None of them really seem to die off so they must all be eating fine... My tank is 120 gallon.

Back
Top Bottom