Are my lights enough for Acropora???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patroklos

Aquarium Advice Freak
Nova Extreme Pro T5 - Three 39 Watt SlimPaq 10K and three 39 Watt 460nm Actinic lamps.

I read through a couple lights and they said 10K bulbs were not optimal but should work, how about some trusted opinions :)

I think with T5s and having the acros near the top of the rock work you should be ok. They may not show the same colors under your lighting as they may under MHs.

Okay, the spots I will be using will put the base of the acros within 8" of the surface of the water, with the lights about 3" above the surface.

I had actually originally intended not to keep SPS at all but, well, you know how this hobby works... :)

I agree the MH`s would be better but with T5`s and placing near the top you should be OK.

When i had mine under T5 they survived and looked fine, but i didnt notice much growth.
JM .02

Well, maybe I will give a cheap frag a month or two tryout and see what happens.

How about anemones? There is a beautiful RBTA at the LFS I have my eyes on...

A further question on something I am confused about.

Do the ballasts of a lighting fixture determine the 10K/20K/whatever rating of the bulbs, or the wattage?

I ask because it is suggested changing the bulbs every six months (I am at five), and some say I shouldn't have used the stock bulbs on the fixture anyway. Right now I am at 3.6 watts per gallon, and if it is possible to increase that with this fixture I'd like to. I also want to use bulbs that give a more bluish/purplish hue while I am at it.

Back
Top Bottom