Advice on my new tank (cycling?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sligui

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone,

Happy to join this community :) I was hoping I could get some advice/input on where I currently stand in terms of the cycling process of my first fish tank (35 gallon long). I thought it would be helpful to give as much information as possible, as I have been spending time reading other people’s posts and replies.

- 15 days ago I cleaned all the substrate (a mix of 3 bags of Flourite and 1 bag of microbe lift “biologically alive substrate”).
- 2 days later (11 days ago) I planted the aquarium with a decent amount of plants (1 java fern tied to a rock, 2 Egeria, 2 crypto lutea, 2 red scarlet temple, 2 giant hygro, 1 rotala indica). I also added 4 philodendron vines that were previously growing in water and 4 bunches of a bushy variety of pothos (well developed root). These house plants are currently hanging out of the tank with the roots submerged.
- my lighting situation: 36” aquasun LED HO (16x white 6000k high output LEDs (1 watt each) and 8 blue 465nm leds (500mW each)
- my filter situation: aqueon quietflow 30 LED pro (came with ammonia reducer insert
- I also have a heater set to 76-77F
- current pH was tricky to read but I recorded it at 7.6 (we have hard water where I live)
- I added Seachem fertilizer tabs under most of the plants for slow release into my Flourite substrate

- the following day I went to Petsmart to pick up api water testing kit (liquid), as I was planning on using it to help me test during a fishless ammonia add cycle. The worker there convinced me that, with my water volume and amount of plants, that it would be perfectly safe to start my cycle with 3 pristella tetra (I was happy to hear this as I wanted to have a school of this type of fish eventually anyways). She also told me that if after testing the water throughout the week, if the ammonia stayed low, I could add three more (better to have 6+ for the school). So, 10 days ago I added 3 pristella tetra.

- for the following 4 days, I had been testing ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, all coming up 0. I was unsure of the ammonia reading, so compared it to deionized water every time I tested ammonia. Always yellow. I assumed that the plants were taking up the ammonia since I had been seeing TONS of plant growth (especially Egeria, whose roots are cascading down and now creeping up towards the top of the tank. The Java fern is also getting lots of new buds from the roots and the rotela indica is also showing lots of new growth reaching up towards the light). I also was thinking that the 3 tetra may be such a small bioload for the 35 gallons (+ plants).
- I knew I could be fairly early on my cycle still, but seeing 0 ammonia reading made me want to go to my local pet store (not Petsmart) to get their advice. That is where I had bought the majority of the plants and aquarium stuff. They told me that I was doing everything correct (slower start), but that I would be completely fine to add more fish at this time to increase the tetra school. He suggested that I add 6 more tetra. I took his assured advice, and brought the pristella school up to 9. This was 6 days ago.
- the next day (5 days ago) I did my first partial water change as the level was starting to become a bit low). I only changed about 6gallons of water. I also added Prime to the new buckets of water. The whole time I have been feeding my fish about once a day (sometimes 2 small amounts a day). They gobble everything up.
- for the past 4 days, I’ve been continuing to monitor all water parameters and still get 0, 0, 0. I *thought* I had a small amount of nitrates, but repeated the test the following day comparing against my distilled water and can say for sure that it is 0. The pH today is 7.8 as far as I can tell (maybe it started at 7.8 when I thought it was 7.6?)
- I’ve also been noticing a build up of brown algae on my plants and jasper rocks (from the fish store) that I have been rubbing off as much as I can. And the past two days I have been noticing a bit of white fungus (looks A LOT like hydra but I was able to confirm from some other posts online that it is definitely not hydra (they don’t react at all when prodded). They are on most of my plants, not too much but there). I imagine the tank is going through different algae, fungus... hopefully it doesn’t get too bad! No build up on the glass at all so far.
- last night I decided to remove the Ammonia Reducer Pad that came with the filter. I had read what little I could about it online and every reply suggested to remove it. I shook it around in the tank to hopefully release some bacteria before discarding it. I then added a full tank does of prime (about 3ml) and tested the tank this morning for ammonia (again, 0). Every morning when I turn on the tank lights, the larger of my school show signs of mating behaviour and lots of contact in the Egeria especially (signs of good water quality?)

Now that you have read my story, I am wondering if you have any suggestions? Where am I at? Can I continue to slowly add some more fish (1 bristlenose precocious for example? Or maybe some daisy fish? Or possibly a moonlight gourami? I also am quite fond of the peppermint tetra (HY511) and forked tail rainbow (really like these but not sure if available locally at the moment).

Or should I continue to wait it out for the next week? I was thinking of continuing the water testing until Friday and Saturday and if i’m Still at 0,0,0, making another addition. I thought I would bring some aquarium water to the shop to have that tested to verify my results before any purchase.

Of course, I may still be waaaay to early on in the process? Should I not have registered at least SOME ammonia by now (9 fish and a couple snails wondering around from the plants I bought, as well as some plant leaf matter degrading)?

I know that I introduced a new variable by removing the ammonia pad, so that is why I want to continue to watch until perhaps Saturday morning?

Thank you so much for your time to read this and the advice given. If you would like me to attach an image of the tank (if it’s helpful for giving advice) I can certainly do that.

Regards,
Sligui

Last edited:
Congrats on your new tank! Sounds like it's going to look awesome when it's fully established. I'm still a new member so I don't know a whole lot but, when adding Prime, I would give it approx. 24 hrs before testing ammonia. I've been told that the Prime will bind the ammonia and will give you a lower reading.

When cycling my tank (a fishless cycle), I actually dosed my tank with ammonium chloride to get my ammonia levels up and also added some bacteria from some biomax from an established 29 gal tank. The ammonia and nitrites are supposed to go way up and then they start to 0 themselves out. I feel like maybe that ammonia remover insert kind of hindered the process.

However, it sounds like your fish are doing just fine so I don't think you really have any issues. I would keep an eye on the ammonia since you removed the insert, though.

Good luck with the tank! You should post some photos of it whenever you can!

Hello and thanks for taking the time to read all of that! Really appreciate the positive feedback. Goodpoint on waiting 24hrs for the ammonia test after prime. I'll be doing that from now on.

I'll be sure to post a picture or two when I get home from work tonight, as well as an update on the ammonia after 24hrs. Thanks again.

Last edited:
So from the start of the tank you haven't gotten any readings at all on ammonia, nitrites or nitrates? That doesn't sound right. I'm thinking the ammonia reducer was taking all the ammonia out of the water and causing your tank to not actually cycle. Are you using an api mater test kit? The "brown algae" you see is called diatoms. Almost everyone gets them on new tanks. They are consuming excess silicates that are present in most tap water. They should disappear soon. Not sure what the white stuff is. I typically don't listen to people at pet stores unless they are telling me something I know already or I double check their claim online. Personally I would wait to add anymore fish until you know for certain your tank is cycled. If you could post some pictures it would help.

Yes, that's what I was thinking and why I decided to remove the "ammonia reducer ". Unfortunate that it came with the filter and I started things up without knowing better....

I hope that, should ammonia and nitrite start to climb the prime with water changes should be safe enough for my school?

I understand that visuals will help. I'll get on that once I get back home. Thanks again!

As promised:
This is the tank before the fish and before the two temple plants.
ctnL5T

Day 11:
j6VUzo

Side view of pothos and philodendron:
jozNKo

Let me know your thoughts!

As promised:
This is the tank before the fish and before the two temple plants:
19_CBF250_AA15_4_ADE_AFAF_693_A3_CC67888.jpg

Day 11:
E79_A96_BA_3_F05_47_E6_ADC1_CC75032899_F1.jpg

Side view of pothos and philodendron:
0475_E99_D_CE46_40_F9_8218_D9_D3534_D986_A.jpg

Let me know your thoughts!

im loving those rocks you have in there. great coloring. get some much larger pieces of them and you could work out a beautiful rockscape. i also recommend getting more plants or trimming and replanting the trimmings of the plants you have in there. when planting stem plants split the stems up. dont plant them in one big clump. for the pothos plant put it in your filter(you may or may not have room). you could also do something like this
. if you leave your pothos in there like it is it will end up growing roots all the way down to your substrate. it wont look very good and when you decide to remove it pulling up the roots will make a crazy mess. nice tank so far and i cant wait to see what you do with it. good luck!

I thought I'd give a quick update for those interested:

About 27hrs since I removed my ammonia reducer pad and the addition of Prime: still 0 ammonia (using deionized water as a control), 0 nitrites.

I will, of course, test again tomorrow morning.

Regards,
Sligui

I thought I'd give a quick update for those interested:

About 27hrs since I removed my ammonia reducer pad and the addition of Prime: still 0 ammonia (using deionized water as a control), 0 nitrites.

I will, of course, test again tomorrow morning.

Regards,
Sligui

just checking in to see if anything had changed today for you. any readings yet?

Hello!
Thanks for asking Goatnad :)

Unfortunately (fortunately?) I still have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates. I'm kind of concerned that I haven't even begun to cycle yet (0 nitrates). I think I'll take some water to the shop on Saturday and have them test it to compare with my results. Fish are still quite happy. Very vivid colouring and mating ritual again this morning (will they mate even if no eggs are produced?)

On the plants, I just finished separating my cryptos as well as the rotala indica, temple plants and giant hygro. Looks so much better now! Really helped fill out the tank. I pinched off some of the egeria and planted them in other places as well. I'd like to see if there are some floating plants to add to the tank but for now it seems to me that there isn't much floor space!

I'll take another picture tomorrow when I have the lights back on. Again, thanks for checking in on me :)

Night!

Update after separating the plants last night. There is now more space around the stem plants so the fish like swimming in between. It looks more natural.:

36333454_10155590102531347_795042010342883328_n.jpg

36452940_10155590102521347_1699751612542615552_n.jpg

Is there any chance that with all the plants (plus the ones growing out the top), the waste from the fish is being taken care of? Or is 2 weeks too short of time to tell?
If the plants are taking care of the ammonia, how will I get the BB to grow to complete the cycle? At what point in time is it safe to add more fish in this current set-up?

Thanks for the advice! I also plan on getting some floating plants since they are fast growing and I love the look of them!

Sligui

Hey there! Sorry for not replying sooner but the tank looks great!

Sounds like the fish are doing great...no spikes in ammonia is a good thing, I think. From what I understand, in a cycled tank, the ammonia and nitrites will (I guess) cancel each other out. If anyone with more experience than me knows this is wrong, please correct me...I'm still learning, too. If the fish are happy, brightly colored and mating, I would say that you're doing everything right. You could probably add more fish if you're ready. It might not be a bad idea to invest in one of API's freshwater test kits. We have them and it's been a lifesaver.

Hello anwatts :) hope you’ve been having a great weekend!

I have been using the API freshwater kit. Thanks for making sure I have that.

If things continue to go really well for the next week I might consider adding something else. What are your thoughts on Apistogramma Cacatuoides? I never thought I’d be interested in a cichlids but lately these ones have been catching my attention. Was thinking just a single male? Apparently they do well in a community tank and won’t disturb the plants?!

Cheers,
Sligui

Really really late reply but I'm curious as to how your tank is doing and what it looks like now.

Back
Top Bottom