Attaching Ricordea Polyps - how?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dansemacabre

Aquarium Advice Freak
[edit] They'll be arriving Tuesday...I'm not sitting here with coral begging to be attached. After I wrote the post, I realized that wasn't clear. [/edit]

Ok, so I just realized these are individual polyps, and not on a rock. So, my question is:

How do you attach coral?
And specifically Ricordea?

I'm afraid I'm going to tear them. I don't even want to handle them I'm afraid I'll do something to them. What's the best way to handle any coral when placing it in the tank? Rubber gloves? Should they ever leave contact with water?

I just don't want to kill them. thanks!

The way I did it was to place the Ricordia on a rock in an area of low flow to allow it to attach. It shouldn't take more than a week. These are hardy shrooms that like light. After it attaches it will "walk around" till it finds a good spot, leaving babies all over the place. They reproduce by pedal laceration (like aiptasia).

Well that'll be cool for growth...but how do I get rid of them if they start to spread like crazy?

I'll just minimize the flow 'til they attach. There's a spot with low flow in the bottom left-hand corner of the tank, that I made just for them. They'll be right under a 250w MH. But if they will migrate to a spot they like, I suppose it'll go where it's happy. That's kinda cool. :) Thanks!

loosely secure it to the rock with some mesh netting (bridal veil for example) for about a week, take it off, and it will be attatched

why would you want to get rid of ricordia? The are the greatest. I love them. Ok if they start spreading like crazy you can send them to me.

lol, I just don't want them to crowd other coral or become so prolific that they are a nuisance. That's all. :) Thanks for the tips everyone!

Too many Ricordia, is there such a thing? Good Luck
Are these orange-green-or better yet Red!

Back
Top Bottom