Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-15-2004, 10:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Background Preferences?

What is your preferred background color / material? In the past, with smaller FW tanks, I have used black or dark blue matt board. With my 55gal FW, since the matt board was not large enough, I used one of the printed backgrounds (a rock pattern.)

With this being SW, I want a background that will do the best job of showing the fishes color.

Don't forget to check AA Sponsors first.

www.macna2006.com
saberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 10:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm thinking of useing a mirror on my 125 gal I'm setting up. I have "shiney paper on my 26 and it's almost a mirror, make the tank look bigger.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 11:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I heard it's not good for the fish if you use a mirror.. I can't remember why though.

I actually prefer no background but if I did have one it would be blue/black.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 12:00 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I prefer a simple blue background. I just use the stuff you get at the LFS and tape it on. Personally, I do not like the printed ones, they look fake and make your tank look cheesey. JMO. I do know that some on this site have painted on a blue back ground. That is a good idea.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:13 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lando
I prefer a simple blue background. I just use the stuff you get at the LFS and tape it on. Personally, I do not like the printed ones, they look fake and make your tank look cheesey. JMO. I do know that some on this site have painted on a blue back ground. That is a good idea.
I'm thinking of going the simple route too with just a deep blue background from the lfs. I thought about painting but that may be a little too permanent. Once I go full reef (a year or so) with a sump, I will probably remove the background. For now though, I will be using an HOB skimmer and filter and don't want to distract from the fish.

Thanks.

www.macna2006.com
Old 06-16-2004, 12:15 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oops - double post.

www.macna2006.com
Old 06-16-2004, 12:44 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

FYI - painting with latex or acrylic paint isn't permanent at all. I've done this on a couple of tanks. To remove it, just score some areas, and then lightly scrape with a razor blade, and it will pretty easily peel off in large sheets.

this is assuming glass, and not acrylic, tanks. i'm sure acrylic would be more difficult to remove, with more risk for scratches as well.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:51 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i use the blue one myself...it fades from a dark blue to a little bit lighter one from top to bottom....so far it's the best I have seen
I don't like the pictures either, and seeing the wires and a wall doesn't work for me either
Old 06-16-2004, 11:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I used Oceanvisions Black background which looks real nice. You squeegee it on and has been great so far. I even use my magnetic algae cleaner over it with no problems.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products.../Itemdy00.aspx
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 12:25 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Nitrate
I used speckle paint for my 150, love the way it looks and I dont have to worry about moisture getting caught between the background and the glass. When I painted it i got some overspray in a few spots and a razor blade took it right off.

Tags
background

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com