Background Preferences?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saberry

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is your preferred background color / material? In the past, with smaller FW tanks, I have used black or dark blue matt board. With my 55gal FW, since the matt board was not large enough, I used one of the printed backgrounds (a rock pattern.)

With this being SW, I want a background that will do the best job of showing the fishes color.

I'm thinking of useing a mirror on my 125 gal I'm setting up. I have "shiney paper on my 26 and it's almost a mirror, make the tank look bigger.

I heard it's not good for the fish if you use a mirror.. I can't remember why though.

I actually prefer no background but if I did have one it would be blue/black.

I prefer a simple blue background. I just use the stuff you get at the LFS and tape it on. Personally, I do not like the printed ones, they look fake and make your tank look cheesey. JMO. I do know that some on this site have painted on a blue back ground. That is a good idea.

lando said:
I prefer a simple blue background. I just use the stuff you get at the LFS and tape it on. Personally, I do not like the printed ones, they look fake and make your tank look cheesey. JMO. I do know that some on this site have painted on a blue back ground. That is a good idea.

I'm thinking of going the simple route too with just a deep blue background from the lfs. I thought about painting but that may be a little too permanent. Once I go full reef (a year or so) with a sump, I will probably remove the background. For now though, I will be using an HOB skimmer and filter and don't want to distract from the fish.

Thanks.

FYI - painting with latex or acrylic paint isn't permanent at all. I've done this on a couple of tanks. To remove it, just score some areas, and then lightly scrape with a razor blade, and it will pretty easily peel off in large sheets.

this is assuming glass, and not acrylic, tanks. i'm sure acrylic would be more difficult to remove, with more risk for scratches as well.

i use the blue one myself...it fades from a dark blue to a little bit lighter one from top to bottom....so far it's the best I have seen
I don't like the pictures either, and seeing the wires and a wall doesn't work for me either

I used speckle paint for my 150, love the way it looks and I dont have to worry about moisture getting caught between the background and the glass. When I painted it i got some overspray in a few spots and a razor blade took it right off.

Blue or black for me. I don't have one on my SW, but all of my FW do. All of my equipment is in my sump so it looks decent.

Back
Top Bottom