Ballast Placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dansemacabre

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK, I'll have 2 Fulham Workhorse 7s for my PCs, and 3 electronic MH ballasts. The reflector came with the mogul sockets and braces, with the braces riveted to the reflector. There's a hole in the middle of the brace and the reflector allowing the wires to go through to the side behind the reflector. I'm going to use U-nails (not hammered in all the way, but enough to keep the cables raised off the reflector) to support them. It came with about 8-10" of wire already wired to the mogul sockets. So, my question is this...it's not long enough to make it out of the hood, so how should I connect the wires to the ballast? Electrical tape, a cap, a cap filled with a non-conducting paste that will harden and keep moisture out, or should I just drill a hole in the top and pipe the wires out the top? I really don't want to do this, as it will make the hood look bad, but if I have to, I have to. My other question, where should I mount these ballasts? With the PCs, I have 8' moisture-proof endcaps, so I have about 8' to work with. Underneath the tank in the stand? On the wall off to the left (the right is where the sump is)? Where's a good place to keep them cool and away from moisture. Thanks!!

How bout wire nuts and then ample electrical tape wrapping.

I acutally have my PC ballasts connected to the back of the canopy. I placed my icecap ballast in the stand up in the upper right corner

The back will have large cutouts resembling

(Ignore the periods, I used them as spacers) to promote circulation throughout the hood. The front will have the same cutouts. The sides will have a place for 2 3" fans on the left, and the right side will have 3 very small slits to allow air to escape. The top will consist of 3 boards (1x6s) with small gaps in between to allow for more heat dissipation/condensation prevention. I could put the workhorses on the back, one on each side...with the setup, do you think this is a good idea? I will mount the MH ballasts in the stand. Do I need any air cirulation for the ballasts, or do they not get very hot? Just for reference's sake, the stand is made of particle board, and I have reinforced all corners and joints with 2x4s. Thanks fishfreek!

[edit]The diagram looks bad, as per the usual. Just slide the second line in about 2 spaces and that's about how it is. I can make a diagram if anyone needs/would like to see it.[/edit]

My tank is configured to divide my great room, so ballasts can't be mounted to the back of the canopy. Instead, I'm going to make a recessed compartment in the top of the canopy to mount the ballasts in. I'll start by cutting a large section out of the top of the canopy, then recess it down about 3" down. The ballasts will be hidden, unless you're at least 6'6" tall. They'll also be away from the salt air, and won't add heat to the tank.

Back
Top Bottom