Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-04-2009, 04:45 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I agree, the beach/tide pools are pretty much the filter for all kinds of pollution. If you can, get water from farther out, I think I have heard about 5 miles or so, but you still risk contaminants and parasites.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:12 PM   #12
Fish R friends, not food!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
Also, spoonman, he said he would have been doing water changes with the ocean water, so in reality, as long as he kept up with the water changes, nutrients and elements needed in the tank, would in fact have been replenished. But still you are right.. lol.. a tank with just saltwater from the ocean, never being changed, won't replenish any nutrients or elements needed to sustain ocean life.
Sounded like he was just going to top off with ocean water (not changes). Seems like you would just keep getting higher and higher salinity as the water evaporates and you keep adding more and more salt water. I will step out. Me no salty, but trying to learn.

spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:13 PM   #13
Fish R friends, not food!

His original quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Home View Post
The plan is to use water from the gulf and add more as needed (weekly, monthly..???).

His words
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:39 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I agree, the water will evaporate not the salt. You want to top off with RO/DI FW.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:54 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Not quite as easy as I though. I'm guessing with a normal Saltwater tank you are checking the salt levels, in which case I guess I would have to do that as well. Not sure if it is as simple as adding fresh water occationally to bring down the salt content. Our area is quite prestine and the water I would be collecting is from the beach front with lots of wave action and offshore currents. Does adding shellfish (muscles and oysters) to the environment aid in filtering? Thanks to all for the info.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:22 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Agree with thominil, you need a filter. In response to the "they live in it" comment. They live in it but the ocean is massive and can constantly dillute any pollutants that may be present. Sure the pollutants may be in higher concentration near shore, but the fresh salt water coming in is like a constant water change to the tide pools. Your tank would not be able to recreate this. Getting water from the ocean is not a bad idea, but you need to go quite a ways out to get good water.

Tags
beginner, salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com