best corals for beginners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ragingbullno7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys, can anyone recommend good corals for beginners and when a new tank would be ready for them?

Mushrooms i like the ricordeas, toadstool, (waving hand,Xenia)<--- fast growing some people wish they didn't put them in there tank:) green star polyp are nice but also grow fast. What kind of lights to you have?

Last edited by a moderator:
Kenya tree, zoas and mushrooms are all easy. After your tank is cycled and you have proper lighting you should be ok. My first coral were zoas. Had them at the 6 week mark. They'reat first doing great. I'd just buy a frag of something so if it dies its not expensive.

Thanks guys, I have a 65g display tank with 25g sump, 4x 54w t5 and about 14x turnover for flow.

Liveaquaria IMO is the best place to look at descriptions for corals. It says tells you how difficult they are, where to place them in the tank and what type of flow they like. Good luck!

Those lights are good to start with. Better than what I had starting out. Eventually you can do lps with those (frogspawn, hammer etc..) as mentioned live aquaria is a good site for info and there are many others. How long has the tank been running?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mushrooms i like the ricordeas, toadstool, (waving hand,Xenia)<--- fast growing some people wish they didn't put them in there tank:) green star polyp are nice but also grow fast. What kind of lights to u have?

+1 with ricordeas, apparently they are actually related to anemones but regardless they are awesome. Mine have spawned 9 times (at least that I have found) in the last 4 months. And they glow under my blue LEDs :)

The tank has been cycling for 9 weeks now, I have 5 chromis, 1 yellowtail damsel, 1 common wrasse and 1 cleaner shrimp. I've been through that brown algae bloom and now red Coraline algae is spreading all over the lr nicely. I've seen a good 10 starfish a few bristles worms, loads of critters and a few dove snails. Also my lr had a red spotted mushroom coral attach when I first put it on the tank and it has grown and looks healthy. Also some polyps.

Back
Top Bottom