Best temp for a reef tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishyfoofoo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Mine stays right around 80 to 81 degrees. I know this is acceptable. What are your thoughts on the best temp and why?

78-86 seems fine. I prefer 80-81 ideally, though my tank runs 83-84 now in the summer due to the MH lighting w/ no issues. IMO 80-82 is a good medium since natural reefs fluctuate due to currents and location. Some reefs get as hot as 88 and up at times, others are cooler. So considering most people keep mixed reefs w/ corals from different locations, finding a median is best. Lower temps tend to produce fewer issues w/ nuisance algae. Mostly due to higher water temps meaning less dissolved O2 and more CO2.

I keep mine at 77 degrees but as mentioned earlier there is no one answer. Whatever works for you and your tank. 80 or 81 is a good place to be.

I agree, as long as you don't have more than a 2 degree swing, you are good to go.

In the past it has been recommended to keep temperatures between 76-78F, but actual average reef temperatures range above 80F to 86F even. There is a fine line in that 84-86F will push coral growth and boost metabolism within the entire tank as a whole, but any mismanagement as far equipment failure (heater, chiller, etc) could cause bleaching epidemics. As MT79 said, 80-82F is ideal and gives room for error in case anything goes awry.

Back
Top Bottom