Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-22-2014, 08:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Best way to prevent alage

Okay so once upon a time, I had a 25g SW reef tank. Well I cycled for a month or so and then add my first fish, a clown and a green mushroom. Went well for a couple of weeks, I had ditioms and such but every new tank does. Well soon I noticed a new alage growth, the was a type of feather alage one I can't rember the name of now but that alage thrived in reef conditions and eventually chocked my tank to death. I tried everything, from picking it off my hand to picking rocks up and scribing with the tooth brush. Now that was over a year ago and I no longer have said tank though I do have my FW. I decided to try a SW agian and have set up a 10g that's currently cycling.

So I'll admit i wasn't has a diligent has I should have been with my water changes e though I did and do use a ro/di filter.

So any way I can prevent this from happening agian?

36 gallon fresh water

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:14 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
RO/DI, run phosphate media, keep up on water changes, don't over feed.

55g Reef Build
Macscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:18 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Just monitor your water parameters and keep nitrates and phosphates low. How you do that is up to you.
Dav3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:29 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
The straight answer to your question about preventing unwanted algae is use ro/di, less feeding, minimize light preferably actinic or blue. Most algae proliferate with specific light frequency (white).
"Nothing great in the world has ever been accomplished without passion". George Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel

jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com