new neon tetra problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sesom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Recently I tried to start a fish tank but was new to the hobby and all the neon tetras and some of the shrimp died from ammonia. You can find all the information for that in my thread titled new neon tetra breathing fast. I had to cycle the tank. For the past four days there has been around 0 nitrite and ammonia. However, the is barely any nitrates as well which is strange bc i thought nitrate was a sign of a cycled tank but I dont have any even though the ammonia and nitrites dissapeared. However, without the ammonia I decided to start adding fish so it could be cycled again. I went and bought 2 neon tetras to start the cycle. One of them died the first day and the other one died the next. I am very confused. My parameters are ph:7, 0-0.1 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0-1 nitrate, kh 50, gh 150. Any idea what caused them to die? i just got them from petsmart.

Recently I tried to start a fish tank but was new to the hobby and all the neon tetras and some of the shrimp died from ammonia. You can find all the information for that in my thread titled new neon tetra breathing fast. I had to cycle the tank. For the past four days there has been around 0 nitrite and ammonia. However, the is barely any nitrates as well which is strange bc i thought nitrate was a sign of a cycled tank but I dont have any even though the ammonia and nitrites dissapeared. However, without the ammonia I decided to start adding fish so it could be cycled again. I went and bought 2 neon tetras to start the cycle. One of them died the first day and the other one died the next. I am very confused. My parameters are ph:7, 0-0.1 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0-1 nitrate, kh 50, gh 150. Any idea what caused them to die? i just got them from petsmart.

If you are using a liquid test kit, make sure you really shake up the reagent bottles for the nitrates. If you still show no nitrates, take a sample of your water to your local fish store and have them test it to verify your reading.
As for why the fish died, for them to die that fast is usually an acclimation problem or a water problem. Since this is an uncycled tank ( most likely at this point) both reasons are possible. With only 2 Neons, a fish that does much better in larger schools, that could have been the problem. Because you got them at the box store, that too could have been the problem. ( They are not known for selling the healthiest fish :whistle: )
So for now, get your water tested and we can go from there. (y)

Back
Top Bottom