Bicolor angelfish not eating HELP!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NicoleIsStoked

Aquarium Advice Freak
On Saturday I went to the lfs and picked out a nice bicolor angel. I asked them to feed her and they said she probably wouldn't eat since they had just fed the tank but they would try. All the fish in the tank showed great interest but her and stupidly I bought her anyways. Well it's now been 4 days and I still haven't seen her eat. She sucks back flakes and then spits them out and shows no interest in nori. I have some freshwater pleco algae wafers in the house. Should I try those? She's very shy. I've heard about soaking food in garlic. Is that just normal cooking garlic or some special fish product? I think I'm going to call the store tomorrow and ask if I can return her. I don't want her to starve to death. Nor do I want to flush $20 down the toilet. Should I expect for them to take her back? It was a cash- no receipt kind of sale. She seems to be picking at my live rock but my tank is too new to keep her fed that way. Any suggestions?

My dwarf angel loves PE mysis. The garlic I use is called Kent's Garlic Extreme. It's about $20 for a bottle at my Petco. Only takes a few drops, so lasts a long time. Let the food soak in it fir about 30 min while it thaws out. Rod's Food is another one he likes. Good luck!! :)

Ugh. So I tried brine shrimp last night and this morning and none of my fish seem very interested. Even my foxface who's a pig spit it back out. I called the lfs and they won't take the angel back. He told me to try feeding her banana. I'm at my wits end here.

My flame wasnt eating for a few days so dont worry, if i were you try mysis soaked in garlic. It was unressitable to my flame. After he got used to it I haven't put garlic in it since and he gobbles it down. Don't panic, he should eat. You may also try brine w/ garlic, i use garlic extreme by the way.

Try not to panic. And be careful adding too much food. It's real easy to over feed a new arrival and kill water quality which will create even bigger problems.

Couple things, It's not unusual for a fish to a go 5-7 days without eating what you offer. I've had a few bi-color angels, and I was successful with them. A little too successful, since one destroyed a small reef tank. My fault. It was being a bi-color angel.

I wouldn't expect a new fish to eat nori. It's not as enticing as you think. Petsmart sells a Garlic Flake food for saltwater fish. I'd go with a little of that and some frozen PE mysis shrimp thawed in some tank water for a few minutes, then toss it in. Just do small, small, small feedings 3 times a day. Give him a lot of opportunities to get started. Once he starts to accept food, he will be tempted to try other things but it is a process.

Don't give up. It's a worthwhile fish. Try not to stress out too much and try not to stress him out either.

Try not to panic. And be careful adding too much food. It's real easy to over feed a new arrival and kill water quality which will create even bigger problems.

Couple things, It's not unusual for a fish to a go 5-7 days without eating what you offer. I've had a few bi-color angels, and I was successful with them. A little too successful, since one destroyed a small reef tank. My fault. It was being a bi-color angel.

I wouldn't expect a new fish to eat nori. It's not as enticing as you think. Petsmart sells a Garlic Flake food for saltwater fish. I'd go with a little of that and some frozen PE mysis shrimp thawed in some tank water for a few minutes, then toss it in. Just do small, small, small feedings 3 times a day. Give him a lot of opportunities to get started. Once he starts to accept food, he will be tempted to try other things but it is a process.

Don't give up. It's a worthwhile fish. Try not to stress out too much and try not to stress him out either.

Great advice. Thanks mr crabs. Today she began searching the surface of the water for food. I did 4 tiny feedings of flakes and can confirm that she ate during the last two. Success!

Great advice. Thanks mr crabs. Today she began searching the surface of the water for food. I did 4 tiny feedings of flakes and can confirm that she ate during the last two. Success!

Yea!! Those are beautiful fish, but I've heard they can sometimes be difficult to get eating. I'm glad yours finally ate! :)

Oh that's great. So glad to hear. Now that I think about, I do recall the Bi-Colors would "mouth" food and then spit for the first week or so I had them. Eventually, as is in your case, they get hungry and need something in the ole belly.

Really pretty and great fish to have. They're affordable and don't get very big. Good centerpiece fish and I'm happy yours made a turn for the better.

Back
Top Bottom