Bigger substrate coming to top! What to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshsmit56001

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 2 different sizes of substrate in my reef. I have some sugar sized stuff and I also have some bigger stuff, not sure what size. It is like one step higher than the sand stuff. My question is will I get good denitrification with this substrate still if the smaller stuff goes down to the bottom? I have about 60 lbs of sugar sized and 25 lbs of the other size. It is a 30 gallon. It gives me about 3-4 inches all around. Also I have about 4 inches down in my sump in a 12 by 12 inch area that is mostly the small stuff. I have about 40 lbs of live rock.

DSB, live rock and macroalgae are mainly my only filtration. Can get pics if needed

Will my sandbed be alright?????

TIA,
Josh

depending on how "big" the "other stuff" is you should be alright. If that other stuff is really just crushed coral then you may have some issues with trapped detritus raising your nitrate levels, but if the other stuff is just a coarser sand then you should be just fine. a good DSB, LR and MacroAlgae are all you need, it's all the ocean has :D

just read in the marine fish mag and they stated that accually a mixed bed of sand of diff grades isnt as bad as most think/feel !! and that pods like the larger size than the smaller!! pods breed better with a courser grain so they stated !! so like billyz says as long as it not huge shell size you will be fine !!!

Back
Top Bottom