bio balls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Betsy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Everyone,

I bought my tank 2nd hand and it came with bio balls in the sump. I read somewhere ? that I shouldn't have the bio balls so I took them out of the sump. My tank is 75 G and has been up for 1 1/2 years, during the past 6 months I have been fighting with an algae bloom (I have a thread on algae blooms and have been working on all of the very helpful suggestions but recently wondered if the bio balls were an important piece I was missing)-- could taking the balls out have contributed to this? Should I put them back in? Should I treat them before I put them in as in soak them in salt water?

Thanks
Betsy

The only thing I can think of is when you removed the bio-balls it stirred up the nasty stuff and let out all the excess nutrients into the water. That could have fueled an algae outbreak. If you have a FO or a FOWLR then the bioballs can help your system they are not a good idea for a reef tank.

Thanks,

I have fish, live rock, corals, shrimp and many other little critters, so I won't put the bio balls back in.

Thank you
Betsy

In removing the bioballs you likely decreased the amount of biological filtration your tank had going. It should not be a huge issue, however. Keep up on the water changes and your tank should re-adjust. I recommend adding some LR rubble to the sump to replace the bioballs. It is a much better filtration media.

Back
Top Bottom