bio balls & nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermarvin76

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know that bio balls will act as a nitrate factory. My question is....will they still mass produce nitrate when they are fully submerged? I THINK they produce nitrates due to the wet/dry concept and the interaction with the air. I have bio balls in my sump right before my refug, but they are all full under water.

Bioballs are designed to work in an aerobic enviornment, or having water trickeled over them. The best way to avoid a NO3 problem is to cover the intake with a sponge and turn off th pump while feeding. regualr rinsing in SW will help remove detritus as well.

They will cause nitrates. If it's a freshwater system, that completes the cycle. If it's saltwater, you've got a greater load of nitrates for your live rock/sand to convert into harmless gases.

Kim

It works just like LR in the main. Creates lots of surface area for the denitrafying anaerobic bacteria to colonize.

Thank you both for your help, but I am still kind of lost. Here is what I guess I am looking for.........mine are fully submerged. Will they be a source of nitrates for me? Thanks again
Brian

Bottom line...Your NO3 are only as bad as your maintanance schedule. There aere some things you can do to stack the odds in your favor, but regular PWC are the best way to manage NO3.

Back
Top Bottom