Bio balls question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm thinking of upgrading my Sump to one that has a chamber for skimmer and a seperate refugium .. the one I got I too was working with what I had I'm on the fence between buying one or making my own out of a 20 g long

i have seen some good ones out there, myself i would buy, not very good at cutting and glueing stuff like that, although if you have the patience, goo for it..good luck, send pic when done,
btw i hate my seaclone......

Yea I want a new one, but having issues with certain room / space that I don't have....since my tank is kinda made differently.

Yep, I want 75 or 90. But wifie said not right now.....lol
This what my dry wet looks like now!

Attachments

• image-3556438557.jpg
    image-3556438557.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 94
Forget the ato float switch nothing but trouble they will turn on multiple times a day I tossed mine in the garbage and purchased a digital trimmer and set it to 5 min a day and it maintains my water level great

to bskerrichard27
skimmer in back of DT, its a HOB type. ( aguu, i hate it) .
to Smithcinema,
was that for me? i have not had any problems (yet)...altough i do say this, i am not at home everyday to see when it turns on, but water level is always on the mark line that i have placed. hopefully it stays that way...btw Smithcinema send a pic....

A timer to control evaporation? I don't see how a float switch is less accurate. Evaporation increases and decreases with environmental changes.
I've always used float switches and have never had a malfunction.

To: bybskerrichar27
Did you set up the Diablo yet?
I went to my LfS ( walked out with more than what i should of.....lol) and I walked out with a bubble magus that will fit perfect inside the wet/dry, heard good reviews, got a good price and I can get store credit if I take the seaclone back, but I was thinking on having both skimmer? Any thoughts on that, any one else can chime in please !!!!!

I would have gone a little larger on the skimmer. Generally, manufacturers rate their skimmers loosely. Every bio load and tank is different also. I would have went with something rated for over 100 gallons.
That said, I haven't tried the 3.5, and can't comment on it's efficiency.

Also as you can see if I go bigger will it fit?! I got limited space down below....

Attachments

• image-252902491.jpg
    image-252902491.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 74
Well, here's the problem with the drain hose- If something happens in your tank....some kind of chemical event maybe, the skimmer will overflow into the sump. If you are using an external container to drain into, it will simply run on the floor until the sump is empty.
If you are going to use the drain hose, have it drain into something that sits over the sump, so worst case scenario, it will go right back into the tank.

Back
Top Bottom