Bio Balls That Bad In A Reef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChiTownRomeo

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got a brand new Eshopps Wet/Dry filter and wanna use it on my 75 gal reef tank. I like it cause of the surface skimming overflow. I hate this film on my water surface. Are the bio balls really that bad even if I keep them clean? If I remove them then it will be loud from the water splashing sound from the trickle plate. I also have a huge Eshopps protein skimmer as well....

I think it would be ok if you clean them at the very least weekly. If you let them get dirty your trates will rise.

These guys are doable in a reef if you are able to keep up with the maintenance on them. Same is said for any equipment we run. There is a general bad wrap for bioballs because people 'set it and forget it'. Toss that in with having a tank with a pound of rock per gallon, much of the use that the balls do is already being done.
In terms of the water 'skim', point a powerhead up and it'll go away. I have this 'sheen' on the one side of my tank too. It's ugly, but can't get the flow right to make it go away on that side for whatever reason.
In terms of getting rid of the 'splashing' sound, the use of filter socks can solve that. On my tank, I use cheap panty hose as a great solution. In this case, with all that room I would do panty hose and then a filter sock. Would catch a TON of debree. It is something I've been considering doing as the panty hose catches a good amount of stuff, but not everything.

Back
Top Bottom