Black algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crama1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My brother in law has just started to get black algae in his reef tank I have never had this in my tank or seen it before it's becoming a real pain for him any help please

I'd agree that it is cyanobacteria. Cyano feeds off of nutrient rich water. The cure takes time. Constant changes with ro/di water, or distilled water at best. Lessen feedings, I only feed my reef tank twice a week. If it is bad, you can use a product called red slime remover, but it will come back if the issue isn't addressed like I listed above. Keep in mind, cyano also thrives in low flow areas so increasing the flow will also assist with this, but the nutrient issue will still remain unless addressed.

I'd agree that it is cyanobacteria. Cyano feeds off of nutrient rich water. The cure takes time. Constant changes with ro/di water, or distilled water at best. Lessen feedings, I only feed my reef tank twice a week. If it is bad, you can use a product called red slime remover, but it will come back if the issue isn't addressed like I listed above. Keep in mind, cyano also thrives in low flow areas so increasing the flow will also assist with this, but the nutrient issue will still remain unless addressed.

I agree - Cyrano thrive in a low water movement environment - and additionally low dissolved oxygen conditions. I once had one of those "designer" tanks that was 25" deep and 18" square for the opening. Nothing but trouble battling Cyrano in that tank - adequate oxygen is a must...

Back
Top Bottom