black sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashiee2

Aquarium Advice Activist
just curious underneath the sand why does it turn and black / grey colour , is it bad
what should i do??

an another question
cleaning all the filters whats is a good way .
just becaeuse when i moved my tank to my girlfriends house i noticed my filters were blocked full of slimey brown stuff ???
i have the rsm 250

Hi ashiee..

Was your sand white before...? If so, sounds like cyano! But im not sure. Youll have to explain it a bit more

Are you talking about the filter in the 2nd chamber from the left? Hmm maybe runoff from the skimmer next to it? I'd rinse them and try to get down to the problem!

Goodluck!

How deep is your sand bed cause it sounds like its organics breaking down (from having a deep sand bed/dsb) which if that's the case you shouldn't stir it up.

image-2883957887.jpg

hey theres a picture of that cyano or whatever i hate that stuff .
um i mean all the filters were slimey and brown .
the sand bed is about 1" deep

my sand is ment to be white but some times turnes a brownish colour .
and now iv noticed the black/grey colour under the sand .
when i first started saltwater tanks i got told i will never have to touch the sand but iv been told by some people its a build up of waste and iy can course ammonia . so give it a little stir ever couple if months .

ashiee2 said:
hey theres a picture of that cyano or whatever i hate that stuff .
um i mean all the filters were slimey and brown .
the sand bed is about 1" deep

my sand is ment to be white but some times turnes a brownish colour .
and now iv noticed the black/grey colour under the sand .
when i first started saltwater tanks i got told i will never have to touch the sand but iv been told by some people its a build up of waste and iy can course ammonia . so give it a little stir ever couple if months .

The brown looks like diatoms, the corner looks like cyanobacteria.

Back
Top Bottom