Black sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maridia

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just picked up some black sand, the petco brand. Is this ok as I only plan to have FOWLR? I don't plan on any corals etc. I also plan to cycle with LR, this will bring my black sand to life, right? I went with the black sand because it's more aesthetically pleasing. Please let me know your thoughts. Any pros and cons as well. Thanks

Most people I have seen with black sand bought it for the same reason you did but end up hating it and replacing it with aragonite.

However it will work just fine and eventually become live.

Aragonite sand will actually help add small amounts of calcium and alkalinity to the water helping out your parameters but I doubt its really that large of an addition.

I have black sand in one of my tanks. I also used real reef rock in that tank so everything was mostly black and purple. Now that I have real
Coralline growing and a have some corals and a few bright anemones, I'm really glad I went with the black sand. It's caused me no issues but I used the "live" sand. I don't know if the texture is different or if it's just added bacteria in the bag.

Most people that I know of with black sand wish they never had got it. They said it shows waste too easy and does not look natural. I guess it comes down to beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

For me, and because I see every day the difference, I like the black. But that's just my taste. My larger tank has the regular sand and it always looks dirty to me. I guess I'm picturing it as supposed to be beachy sand color or stark white and it always just looks dull. BUT again it's only my opinion. Plus the black sand is in my 34 gallon. I honestly don't know if I'd like it in a larger tank unless it was all real reef rock as I used. The black with purple looks good. The black with natural rock might look strange. Either way hope the OP loves their decision!! :)

It looks like it's a matter of opinion. Thanks to all of you for sharing your thoughts. As mentioned before, I got the black sand from Petco (not the nicer live sand). But it said that it was good for Fresh and Marine tanks. So I wanted to give it a shot. Also, I've seen some people mix some aragonite white sand with the black sand. Might create a good blend? Almost done setting up my 55 Gal. Only need my LR and Skimmer, and clear sailing! ^_^

It looks like it's a matter of opinion. Thanks to all of you for sharing your thoughts. As mentioned before, I got the black sand from Petco (not the nicer live sand). But it said that it was good for Fresh and Marine tanks. So I wanted to give it a shot. Also, I've seen some people mix some aragonite white sand with the black sand. Might create a good blend? Almost done setting up my 55 Gal. Only need my LR and Skimmer, and clear sailing! ^_^

If you want to see what the blended sand will look like there is a cichlid substrate out there that is a mixed black and white sand. In my opinion it's hideous but there are a lot of people out there that like it.

I have the petco black sand in my 60 gal reef. I love it it makes everything stand out. The only waste it shows is the urchin poo which I realy dont mind and that gets cleaned up with water changes.
It is completly alive now and it hasnt caused any problems at all.

Love my black sand, makes corals pop like no other. Some poo build up but only back behind rocks in area of less flow. Other wise I think it looks great. I'm going to start a zoanthids/ mushroom tank only and use black sand for that as well.

Back
Top Bottom