Blenny input

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LaWoWee

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im thinking about adding a blenny to my tank (maybe a starry) but Ive read that starry blennies can be bullies to other fish. The fish i have closest to its color would be my leopard wrasse and the only perching fish i have is a mandarin. Does anyone have good/bad experiences with starry blennies? Im also open to other types of blennies.

My lawn mower originally was aggressive, but that was just while things were picking their positions in the tank. After I added an engineer goby and marine betta without any issues. He is a model citizen.

I guess its a good thing that my tank is fully stocked and it'd be one of my last fish added. My only other concern would be that i dont have algae growing in my display and i would have to get it to eat nori or frozen and i do not know if it'll need to be target fed or if it will compete with the community.

Im thinking about adding a blenny to my tank (maybe a starry) but Ive read that starry blennies can be bullies to other fish. The fish i have closest to its color would be my leopard wrasse and the only perching fish i have is a mandarin. Does anyone have good/bad experiences with starry blennies? Im also open to other types of blennies.

I have a starry in my 37g, he mostly judt perches around the tank but somtimes he will fight the flame angel and take bites at his tail, i have had mine for 3 months and he decimated my hair algea but now he eats brine shrimp and emerald entree, ask the lfs to feed him some and if it doesnt hopefully you can find somthing to feed him. What size tank do you have? They are great fish and have awesome personality! But you just have to watch the aggression. Could you name your stock fish wise? A little somthing you should know is that somtimes mine will take big chunks of the rock with ine bite!

I have a 90gal with a couple tangs, few chromis, flame angel, pair of clowns, bangai pair, leopard wrasse, and a mandarin.

I have a 90gal with a couple tangs, few chromis, flame angel, pair or clowns, bangai pair, leopard wrasse, and a mandarin.

I think you will be fine, the reason my blenny is attacking my flame is because im having a bit of warfare going on, the blenny makes hes move at night or during feeding while the pair of Oc. Clowns battlr the angel, i will be moving the angel to my 60 cube though but i think you have enough space that there wont be much fighting

My starry blenny is one of my favorite fish in my tank. He is a model citizen , only thing he voters is my toadstool coral which he uses as a bed. He literally sleeps on his side on it . He also loves my coral banded shrimp they are hardly separate I have seen the shrimp clean out the inside of his mouth I have a picture on my thread about it.

As stated above they love to sleep on soft coral, heres the spot where mine sleeps

image-1366182084.jpg

He sleeps on the piece jettimg out to the left, and heres the blenny himself

image-986211423.jpg

Thanks guys. I think ill check em out on my next visit to the lfs.

Abiroad - i wouldnt mind at all if it made its home in my toadstool since my clowns dont occupy it.

Fishman - that really does sound like a little war going on. I see from your profile you have pincushions. I want to get one too. Do they ever mess with your corals as far as stabbing them or prying them from rocks?

Thanks guys. I think ill check em out on my next visit to the lfs.

Abiroad - i wouldnt mind at all if it made its home in my toadstool since my clowns dont occupy it.

Fishman - that really does sound like a little war going on. I see from your profile you have pincushions. I want to get one too. Do they ever mess with your corals as far as stabbing them or prying them from rocks?

Whatever you do do not get a blue tuxedo, i have 2 urchins, my giant snowball and my small blue tuxedo. I have had the snowball for 4 months and he has never touched any corals. I have had the blue tuxedo for 1 month and he has ripped apart my clove polyps :(. The snowball will knock over rocks from time to time but it happends rarely

image-2520991782.jpg

image-186189037.jpg

Sorry for all the photobombing fish, they think they are getting fed lol

Yea i definitely dont want a tuxedo, just the regular short spine. I have a $500 zoa colony that i would not want a tuxedo anywhere near.

Bought the blenny the other day and i love it! Its the perfect addition to my reef. It hid for the first day but then it found its new home in my paly colony and tries to pass for a polyp. I had the LFS feed it mysis and watched it eat before i bought it and yesterday it was eating the nori i put in the tank so i know food will not be a problem since i have no GHA. Im glad i got it.

image-1208808336.jpg

image-2640529353.jpg

image-2381369697.jpg

Bought the blenny the other day and i love it! Its the perfect addition to my reef. It hid for the first day but then it found its new home in my paly colony and tries to pass for a polyp. I had the LFS feed it mysis and watched it eat before i bought it and yesterday it was eating the nori i put in the tank so i know food will not be a problem since i have no GHA. Im glad i got it.

Looks great!

Try and feed him somthing with algea in it, as i said emerald entree frozen food is good, it has all the stuff they need! You can get it at petco,petsmart, almost any chain store that sells fish. Your other lfs may have it aswell. Its about 7$ for a pack, has lasted me 2-3 months feeding 1/4-1/2 a cube a day with some mixed in brine. Good that hes eating!

Try and feed him somthing with algea in it, as i said emerald entree frozen food is good, it has all the stuff they need! You can get it at petco,petsmart, almost any chain store that sells fish. Your other lfs may have it aswell. Its about 7$ for a pack, has lasted me 2-3 months feeding 1/4-1/2 a cube a day with some mixed in brine. Good that hes eating!

Thanks ill try that

Back
Top Bottom